Logitech's new MX Master Wireless Mouse said to be its best yet

Shawn Knight

Staff member

logitech wireless mouse fistful awesome gaming

Many manufacturers have developed a touch-first approach to input devices, spurred by the rapidly evolving mobile revolution. Such methods work great on select devices but when it comes time to do some serious work, nothing has yet replaced the trusty mouse and keyboard.

In catering to such power users, Logitech has announced what it is calling its most advanced wireless mouse ever.

Fans of Logitech’s previous offerings such as the MX Revolution and the Performance MX will immediately draw similarities to the new MX Master Wireless Mouse. The hand-sculpted pointer is designed for those who work across multiple screens, devices and operating systems with an emphasis on comfort, control and speed.

Specifically, it features a speed-adaptive scroll wheel that shifts from click-to-click to hyper-fast scrolling modes automatically. There’s also a side-mounted thumbwheel that can be used to scroll horizontally or quickly flip between pages.

The mouse can be linked with up to three different devices using the Logitech Unifying Receiver or Bluetooth. The Easy-Switch button shifts between each device on-the-fly and like previous Logitech mice, you have full control over the button layout and their functions.

The MX Master is equipped with the company’s Darkfield Laser, a technology that’s been around for a while which enables the mouse to function across a myriad of different surfaces. The mouse’s rechargeable battery is rated for up to 40 days of use and just four minutes of charging gives enough juice for a full day.

Logitech says its new mouse will be available starting next month at a price of $99.99.

Permalink to story.

Judging from the first image, it doesn't look like it feature the back and forward button. I hope I'm wrong though.

So wait, I'd lose one of the two upper thumb buttons as well as the thumbrest button, but get a second scroll wheel mounted vertically? I can't say I'm as excited as I *should* be for a replacement to the venerable Performance MX, of which I have been using for years. I will withhold judgement until I start seeing reviews as well as -feel- the mouse out at a brick and mortar store.

So wait, I'd lose one of the two upper thumb buttons as well as the thumbrest button, but get a second scroll wheel mounted vertically? I can't say I'm as excited as I *should* be for a replacement to the venerable Performance MX, of which I have been using for years. I will withhold judgement until I start seeing reviews as well as -feel- the mouse out at a brick and mortar store.

I am a Performance MX fan and I will be reviewing the new MX Master shortly so stay tuned for the review.

I am a Performance MX fan and I will be reviewing the new MX Master shortly so stay tuned for the review.
I've owned several Performance MX and Revolution mice. I missed the side jog wheel on the Performance as I used to use it for commands in WoW. Will be happy to see a side wheel return. I currently use the Logitech G602 (and a Kensington Slimblade) which has an amazing battery life and enough buttons for my needs but a successor to the Performance MX does have my attention for sure.

Look forward to the review Steve!

Oooo, can order from Logitech UK.
Urgh.... do not need. Happy with G602. Urgh... must resist.
I do miss the free scrolling wheel...

Do you think it will be decent for gaming too?

I own 4 wireless mice and more than 4 wired mice, mostly logitech.
The best performing wireless mouse I own is a Mamba 2012 which I used gaming for about 2 years and thought it was as good as a wired mouse, I was wrong.
Yes I was using 1000mhz polling with supposedly 1ms response time but as soon as I went back to a wired logitech the feeling of wired was a LOT more responsive. It was a bit like going from a 60hz monitor to a 120hz monitor and thinking they are similar but once using the 120hz for a few months and going back to 60hz the difference is really, really noticable.
I now use the mamba 2012 on a htpc where its wireless capability is handy and it's a damn good mouse for general use but not for any serious, capable fps gamer. Bottom line is I wouldn't use wireless again, no matter how good they say it is.

It looks quite nice and I'm glad to see they've incorporated a decent, wider textured scroll wheel and not used the skinny, smooth ones from the past. I discovered that with my old MX 510 which I never really came to terms with simply because of it and since then that was always an irritation and a deal breaker for me.
I'm not sure about the side scroll wheel but it looks like a good idea and could even be very useful.
The one thing I'm not impressed with is the fact that it's wireless so even if I am impressed with the rest of the mouse it's going to be a non starter for me, hopefully they'll release something along this ones lines in the future with a cord.
Logitech never made bad mice but there was always something better to be had as far as I was concerned and usually for less money as well.

pk5Lz0v.jpg

I own 4 wireless mice and more than 4 wired mice, mostly logitech.
The best performing wireless mouse I own is a Mamba 2012 which I used gaming for about 2 years and thought it was as good as a wired mouse, I was wrong.
Yes I was using 1000mhz polling with supposedly 1ms response time but as soon as I went back to a wired logitech the feeling of wired was a LOT more responsive. It was a bit like going from a 60hz monitor to a 120hz monitor and thinking they are similar but once using the 120hz for a few months and going back to 60hz the difference is really, really noticable.
I now use the mamba 2012 on a htpc where its wireless capability is handy and it's a damn good mouse for general use but not for any serious, capable fps gamer. Bottom line is I wouldn't use wireless again, no matter how good they say it is.

Yup, same here! I went wireless a long time ago because nobody likes cords. All my wireless mice were Logitech. At some point I got tired of them losing signal or stuttering across the screen so I bought my first 'gaming' mouse - a Razer. What a non-ergonomic piece of junk! The sensor was good, though, and the response times were amazing - the mouse pointer would move so fluidly around the screen it was like magic. After I went through about 3 junky Razer mice in two years, I started looking for a new brand. I settled on a Corsair M60. I've had it for about 3 years now and I can't imagine a better mouse (even though Corsair has come out with a lot of new ones since the M60).

I've not had much to complain about with the Performance/Revolution models even if they aren't geared for gaming in particular.

The older generation wireless mice from Logitech I owned were noticeably slow compared to wired but I've used Kensington Slimblade, Razer Boomslang(was sent from Techspot and meant to review but life took over and never completed the review), Generations of Logitech Wireless mice, a Logitech MX500 corded and a MadCatz RATZ MMO 7 corded mouse(even bought a mouse cord bungee thing to keep the cord out of the way). Other than sensitivity I've honestly never felt in the latest generations of wireless mice that they concede much in terms of latency. In fact I would think it would barely be perceivable and find comparing it to the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz quite preposterous. I run a monitor at 96Hz and that is very much noticeable when playing games at 96fps compared to 60Hz/96fps.

Maybe at very top pro gamer it's of consequence, but for the mere mortals I think wireless (higher end, faster polling) mice are fine.

My Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse battery doesn't even last for 8 hours of gaming. If MX Master can even hold for 24 hours of gaming I will it buy it right away.

I play World of Warcraft with my G700 and don't like having the plug the charge cord every few hours.

I'm really forward to a review where they test the battery live of this mouse.

My Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse battery doesn't even last for 8 hours of gaming. If MX Master can even hold for 24 hours of gaming I will it buy it right away.

I play World of Warcraft with my G700 and don't like having the plug the charge cord every few hours.

I'm really forward to a review where they test the battery live of this mouse.

Why not get the G602? I use it and charge the batteries about 3-4 times a year, and that's using performance mode, not the battery saving mode! I'd considered the G700 several times before the G602 and took the chance with the G602 and have been very happy with it.

Why not get the G602? I use it and charge the batteries about 3-4 times a year, and that's using performance mode, not the battery saving mode! I'd considered the G700 several times before the G602 and took the chance with the G602 and have been very happy with it.

The G602 wasn't out yet when I bought my G700. But thanks for the tip I will consider before buying the MX Master.

Looking at the G602, I'm not too keen on the look. Looks to transformer like, but I guess some people will like that. I do like the thumb rest.

Do you have long gaming sessions each day with that mouse. just curious to how long the batteries would last with me using them.

On average I game about 3-4 hours a day. Longer on the weekends. I use eneloop batteries which should be the best according to what I've read on several forums.

The first image clearly shows the back and forth buttons next to the thumbrest scroll wheel.
At first glance it looked like just one button. It does look like two buttons upon closer inspection, and if that is the case my opinion of the mouse has improved.

The G602 wasn't out yet when I bought my G700. But thanks for the tip I will consider before buying the MX Master.

Looking at the G602, I'm not too keen on the look. Looks to transformer like, but I guess some people will like that. I do like the thumb rest.

Do you have long gaming sessions each day with that mouse. just curious to how long the batteries would last with me using them.

On average I game about 3-4 hours a day. Longer on the weekends. I use eneloop batteries which should be the best according to what I've read on several forums.

I really wasn't keen on the new version G700 with all the lines on it. I actually find the G602 isn't as gadgety/transformery on my desk compared to product shots.

I'm generally on for 2 hours an evening or so. Sometimes gaming, sometimes processing images in Lightroom. I use Eneloop batteries which are meant to hold their charge better. I can't remember if it came with Eneloops but I have them for my photography gear so find they are pretty good for most use in comparison to standard rechargeable batteries. Only downside compared to older mice I had is that there is no in mouse charging so if you don't have any battery chargers this could be a problem :)

At first glance it looked like just one button. It does look like two buttons upon closer inspection, and if that is the case my opinion of the mouse has improved.
Although the positioning and sizing of the buttons doesn't look very functional.

"...which enables the mouse to function across a myriad of different surfaces."​
Should be:
"which enables the mouse to function across myriad different surfaces.

Back