Long wait for start

Status
Not open for further replies.

rskjackson

I guess I have two problems, so sorry if I should put these in seperate threads, but they may be related now.
I have a P-III, 800 mgz, with 512 Ram...running on Windows ME.
I have a DVD-drive and a Cd-writer, which hasn't been working. I've tried several combinations with jumper settings and the ribbon cable, but I either get the cd-rw to work for a little while, but then on a re-start, neither of the drives show up. I can use the DVD by itself fine, so I guess the cd-rw is going bad?
After fooling around inside the computer with the above adjustments...now when I go to start a game (tried three last night...EA Sports MVP 2005 and Madden 2005, plus Battlefield 1942) I get the intro screen fine, but then when it goes to start the game, it takes a looooooooong time to load...and at times it won't. Funny thing on two occasions, I just took the cd out of the drive, hit escape and the game started, without the cd in place. I tried my daughters Sims 2 and it worked as normal.
Any ideas on what's going on? I know I haven't given as much info as anyone may need, but I don't even know where to start with this. The problem with the game loading has just started the past couple of days.
I fear a corrupt registry file?
Thanks...

Well, you do have an old processor. What is your video card and other pc specs?

EDIT:
The sims 2 has less of a graphical demand than the other 2 games.

Nvidea FX 5200, with Omega drivers installed. Haven't had problems before with this (or any of the sport titles mentioned) until after I fooled around with trying to get the Cd-writer to work. I tried the Ea sports NHL 2004 this afternoon, and it did the same thing...intro screen and then just sat there trying to load. I put one of the Microsoft Flight Simulator games in, and it started just fine.
I did a complete system scan with Norton Systemworks, including a virus scan. Found two trojan viruses that were quarantined, but not fixed.

Try lowering the hardware acceleration (right click>properties>settings>advanced>troubleshoot)

If this doesn't work use the system restore option (start>programs>accessories>systemt tools> system restore), and restore the computer to the time before whatever happened started.

NOTE:
The Sims 2 requirement is 866mhz, how does it work on your system?

I haven't had the chance to try your suggestion for hardware acceleration. Don't know why that would make a difference since everything worked fine up to a couple of days ago, but I'll try it and see...Thanks!
As far as the Sims 2 working on my computer (my daughter even has the University expansion pack that works fine)...I'm at a loss on that too. The only way it worked without freezing was when I went to the Omega Driver for the video card. I haven't had a problem with it since...although I know that has nothing to do with the processor speed listed as requirment.
Is the problem I mentioned about the EA titles taking a long time to load now possibly a corrupt file in the Registry? If so...does that mean I need to re-install Windows and the operating system? Also...I have a copy of Windows XP Professional, but am leary of putting that on my system. Not sure if it would really slow things down, or help. Any ideas or suggestions?

The hardware acceleration is a utility that you use when the computer is acting up on video elements. It shuts off some features to localize the problem.

No change after lowering the hardware acceleration, but even before I did that, the Madden game loaded fine. Still had a problem with the MVP 2005, so I think there's something with a download on that causing the problem.
I don't have alot of time to devote to that at this point, so I'll deal with it when I can.
I will ask this though for the very knowledgeable folks at this great site...if I have done something with installing a corrupt file, and the registry is to blame for this problem, will I have to re-install Windows and the operating system to get it back to normal?
Reason i ask this is...I tried to restore to an earlier date with System Restore, and it won't let me. System Restore is active, but message said that the computer could not be restored to any date I tried.
Thanks...

Just checking but with System Restore are you selecting dates that are bold and once you select one does it give you a list of restore points for that date (often just one choice)?

For your CD drive, under the Control Panel, check the Device Manager. Look for "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and right click on the optical drives you find there. Click on Properties and then "Advanced Properties" tab if one is shown. See if the drive has reverted from DMA to PIO mode. If so, change it back. After restarting, check again. If the change doesn't stick and it has gone back to PIO mode, while still in the Device Manager, uninstall the device. Restart and let Windows find the device and reinstall the driver. See if it works now.

I did the System Restore procedure correctly, but nothing would work. I would always get the error message that the system could not be restored to the date I had designated, and no changes to the computer were made. All dates I tried were in bold and indicated if it was system checkpoint or a change in software/or hardware installation.

As far as your suggestion for the CD drive...I'll try that when I get the chance. Would that be something to try in re-connecting the CD-Writer, which hadn't seemed to be working, unless it's hooked up by itself. If I connect the CD-Writer and the DVD-ROM, neither drive will be recognized on re-start. Again...I've tried to switch the ribbon cable from one to another, change the jumper settings (both were on cable select when I first looked at them...and they apparently were that way when I bought the computer new).

Thanks...

As long as your system supports it, and apparently it does, there's nothing wrong with cable select as far as I'm concerned. You might also try another IDE cable. Occasionally they can go bad and they don't cost much. For cable select to work you need a 40 pin, 80 wire cable. If you still can't get the CD-RW to work, consider that it might be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back