Looking for a good Video card for HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys what's yeah yeah!

anyways i have an SIS 265-bit AGP 4x VGA 315..or something weird like that..video card. when i try and run HL2 all the colors look like im looking through a heat sensor thing..you know? kinda all bright colors and ****!..ANYWAYS it looks like crap and you have no clue what's what. my motherboard and processor are all brand new and it is a 2.8GHZ so theres no problem there. and my power supply is definitley good enough. and i have about 7 fans all together in my case. obviously the problem is my damned VIDEO CARD!that's the worst thing in my computer right now. alright so im running windows 2000 and some of my friends tell me that i can get a PRETTY GOOD video card with like tv/out and is obviously good enough to run HL2 for under 45$. if anyone has suggestions on what to buy please tell me
thanks!!

SOCOM MGS3 said:
anyways i have an SIS 265-bit AGP 4x VGA 315
Sound like intergrated to me..but i cant tell

FIrst off, what are your system specs...you say your psu is fine, but what brand is it. ALso HL2 being a very demanding game...i would recomend 1GB of Ram for smooth play, you didnt mention how much you have. A good video card for 45 bucks is a bit of a stretch. I mean a big stretch. I found alot of 9550s and 5200s both of which are very weak cards.

Basicly if you want to run HL2, i would recomend upping the budget, as HL2 is a very demanding game.

Sean

Thanks for the reply.
uhh my ram is a sad 256! i know!! but hey uhhh my CPU and mother board are an asus board with an AMD 2.8 GHZ CPU. so that! should be fine! and yeah i don't see what exactly the ram can do for the game except that more ram=more porgrams open at one time..but i would like to learn what else ram does for me. the video card is not onboard thats the only thing that is NOT on-board on my mother board so really all that is in my computer is a mother board, videos card, ram, hard drives, and cd drive.... that's really all. sounds to me like all i need is ONE money TWO ram and THREE a new video card..also i am sure that i can get one for 45$ because go check them out at www.pricewatch.comwww.pricewatch.com and try and locate me a good video card from there for as cheap as you can and please tell em what you've found from that site..thanks for the help.

Well your good news is that if your running DDR RAM (Which you probably are) It comes very cheap these days, You would probably be looking at ;ess than $30 per 256. My golden rule (well one of them :p) is that no gaming computer should be without at least 512MB RAM, so that would be your first step. Well for the video card i'm not that much of an expert but definitely get something higher than 128MB, and don't bother going for anything except for an nVidia or Radeon. That really everything I can pitch in, but i've seen Half Life 2 running (granted not that well) on a laptop with 64MB Video Card, 382MB RAM

No it's not too bad, I've picked up a Asus A9250 for $57 and a GeForce FX 5200 for $63 at local computer fairs, which I considered good prices compared to what the stores offer.

Radeon 9250 and GeForceFX 5200 are both older generation graphics cards, they both have only DirectX8 hardware support. Radeon 9550 and above have DirectX9.

Actually the 5200 has DirectX 9 support, it's just so slow that people prefer gouging their eyes out with forks then use them on DX9 titles. :p

ya if you want a good video card look on www.newegg.com and find something like an ati radeon 9600(i have a 256mb 9600xt and it runs great althought the xt is a much better card then the regular 9600) which is pretty cheap but it runs good i would say u can find 1 for around $65-70 there also they have cheap ram :haha:

The bare minimum Id go is a 9600XT. Newegg has them starting at $90. Do yourself a favor and get a 9800 Pro. They start at $120. You'll need that if you want to play Aftermath. You deffinately need more RAM. You can get 512mb at Newegg for $40.

Was there any need for you to resurrect such an old thread (with a not so worthy reply on top of it all) ?

Hallo SOCOM MGS3, HL2 is not a very demanding game,i finished it smoothly on my 2.4ghz,512mb ram and geforce 6200(256mb) keeping all settings at max and now my friend is going to complete the game on his 2.4ghz,256mb ram with no additional video card at all,he is not having any difficulty(though his resolution is 640 by 468,all settings at min).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back