Looking for a nice sub-$100 AM3 motherboard

By ikesmasher
Nov 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Preferably full ATX.
    My main thing is that i was hoping to get one that had 2 PCI express x16 slots (2.0) to upgrade to crossfire later on but I can only find ones that have 1 x16 and 1 x4. Which...doesnt work well.
    If one doesnt exist, thats fine.
    I just need a motherboard that supports 8GB (which isnt hard), my phenom II x4, and at least a PCI express 2.0 x16 slot. no SATA speed preference, USB 3.0 is not important to me, although its a nice feature. (and preferably not have the whole board cluttered with everything in a cramped space, might upgrade cooler for overclock eventual).

Im having a hard time finding one that's reliable and consistently built.
    Please let me know.
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,853   +342

3. Jawshh

Jawshh TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 438

That's a pretty decent board, go for it! Pretty much any socket AM3+ with 970 chipset will do providing they have support for stuff you need. As far as the brand is concerned, Asus, Gigabyte and ASrock are really good.

And, for $100 you can only get as far as 1 x16 slot with a second x4 slot, no more! But, that should give you some nice performance.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,853   +342

Thanks for teh help!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.