TechSpot

Looking for ADSL2 modem/access point/router which works while PC is off

By TC Machine
Apr 12, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw some ADSL modems which also ran your network (access point/router etc) which worked while your computer is off, but I can't find them now.

The advantage is power-saving on the main PC while the others in the network can access the broadband anytime they want.

Does anyone know of any good hardware available in the UK?

:confused:

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

All those modems "work" even without a connected PC..

If you want to share an internet connection to several computers, then you need a router. As I gather, at the moment it is one of your PCs that is acting as a router.

If your current modem has an ethernet port, then it will work with any router that has an ethernet WAN option. If you currently have a modem with only USB, then you have to replace it.

3. TC Machine

TC Machine TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

Thanks

:bounce: Yes, my modem is only USB. So I look for a device with ethernet WAN option?! Thanks a lot Nosdu, I think you have solved my problem! Any extra ideas are also welcome...

4. CraigMc

CraigMc TS Rookie Posts: 50

If you are going to replace your modem anyway then your best bet is to replace it with a combined ADSL Modem Router, they are available in both wired and wireless, here's a quick link for the models offered at ebuyer.com for reference :)

5. TC Machine

TC Machine TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

Thanks Craig! That's exactly what I'm gonna do.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.