Looking for new Wifi Router - Will Tablet/Smartphone take advantage of new wifi Standards?

TorturedChaos

I am looking to replace my tired Linksys WRT54G router that is about 10 years old. I love the router, and its even better with DD-WRT on it, but I'm starting to have troubles with the wifi dropping all the connects for a couple seconds when running all my wireless devices. I have 3 smart phones, 2 tablets, 1 Chromecast, a smart TV, and Roku + a laptop or 3 in my house right now, and it seems like its getting to be a bit much for it.
I have had to completely re-flash the firmware twice this year to get the wifi working again, so I'm thinking its time for replacement.
I have been thinking about just getting the new WRT54GL for $50, but I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to upgrade the wifi technology past wireless G :p.
I'm wondering if my Tablet (Nexu 9), and our smartphones (Razr HD Max) along with the Chromecast will take advantage of the new wireless standards and higher speeds or not? If they will can someone recomend a decent wireless router that takes DD-WRT nicely in the sub-$100 range? Thanks!

I been programming in Android/Linux since 2010 and there is code that supports VHT is Very High Throughput. Right now the standards are HT is High Throughput .

As for DD-WRT firmware is like your overclocking your router pushing it beyond the OEM limits. I use to use DD-WRT but had quit many years ago since the routers that used that firmware would fail too much.

So best to buy a better business type enterprise router wired then you can use WiFi router as AP or just get WiFi AP(access point). To me WiFi Router is also Wired Router, but to use just a wired router and use WiFi AP through a switch is better. If one or the other goes you can easy replace them. Where as if the WiFi Router fails you would need to replace it.

If you really want to use DD-WRT then Look at Buffalo WiFi Routers some come pre-installed with DD-WRT on them. Frankly you really don't need DD-WRT today because newer routers or WiFi routers are much better built and offer much more power NPU = network processor units and 128, 256, 512, 1GB of RAM some have Dual Cores.

Log into the router and on the WAN side, set the MRU to 1492 to stop fragmentation- - a leading cause of drop/failed connections.

Better yet, pick the MRU that fits Y O U R path to the ISP.
see http://www.iea-software.com/products/mtupath.cfm and there's a download that is safe according to Avast : mtupath.exe

Get a command prompt and cd to your download directory:

First find your ISP gateway with tracert 8.8.8.8; Line Two is its address
Then enter ./mtupath.exe -4 $that_line_two address
here's my results
Code:
$ ./mtupath.exe -4 75.85.0.1

MTU path scan to 75.85.0.1, ttl=64, limit=48
# 16 processing - best MSS 1464 (estimated MTU 1492) [pPPPPpPppPppPppp]
# 01 nearest minimum MTU on local interface

#1 MSS IN RANGE  1 <==  1463 ==>  1464
  #2 MSS EXCEEDED  1465 <== 14919 ==> 16384
So just to avoid TCP fragmentation from my router to Timewarner, the best MTU possible for me is 1464. It ends-up, that number is good all the way to the Google DNS 8.8.8.8
AND to www.techspot.com too

Another tool shows the MTU discovery (http://www.elifulkerson.com/projects/mturoute.php)

Code:
$ ./mturoute.exe -m 1492 184.173.241.66
* ICMP Fragmentation is not permitted. *
* Speed optimization is enabled. *
* Maximum payload is 1492 bytes. *
- ICMP payload of 1472 bytes is too big.
+ ICMP payload of 92 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 782 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1127 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1299 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1385 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1428 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1450 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1461 bytes succeeded.
- ICMP payload of 1466 bytes is too big.
+ ICMP payload of 1463 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1464 bytes succeeded.
- ICMP payload of 1465 bytes is too big.
Path MTU: 1492 bytes.  <<== my current Router setting is too large!!

I been programming in Android/Linux since 2010 and there is code that supports VHT is Very High Throughput. Right now the standards are HT is High Throughput .

As for DD-WRT firmware is like your overclocking your router pushing it beyond the OEM limits. I use to use DD-WRT but had quit many years ago since the routers that used that firmware would fail too much.

So best to buy a better business type enterprise router wired then you can use WiFi router as AP or just get WiFi AP(access point). To me WiFi Router is also Wired Router, but to use just a wired router and use WiFi AP through a switch is better. If one or the other goes you can easy replace them. Where as if the WiFi Router fails you would need to replace it.

If you really want to use DD-WRT then Look at Buffalo WiFi Routers some come pre-installed with DD-WRT on them. Frankly you really don't need DD-WRT today because newer routers or WiFi routers are much better built and offer much more power NPU = network processor units and 128, 256, 512, 1GB of RAM some have Dual Cores.
I haven't over clocked my router at all. Main reason I use DD-WRT is for the added stability. I was having to reboot my router every couple days when using the stock firmeware. A friend suggested DD-WRT and my router has ran wonderfully for the past 9 years or so. Now I am used to DD-WRT and love the interface along with the bandwidth readouts, and so many other features that the stock firmware on many routers seems to be lacking.

Log into the router and on the WAN side, set the MRU to 1492 to stop fragmentation- - a leading cause of drop/failed connections.

Better yet, pick the MRU that fits Y O U R path to the ISP.
see http://www.iea-software.com/products/mtupath.cfm and there's a download that is safe according to Avast : mtupath.exe

Get a command prompt and cd to your download directory:

First find your ISP gateway with tracert 8.8.8.8; Line Two is its address
Then enter ./mtupath.exe -4 $that_line_two address
here's my results
Code:
$ ./mtupath.exe -4 75.85.0.1

MTU path scan to 75.85.0.1, ttl=64, limit=48
# 16 processing - best MSS 1464 (estimated MTU 1492) [pPPPPpPppPppPppp]
# 01 nearest minimum MTU on local interface

#1 MSS IN RANGE  1 <==  1463 ==>  1464
  #2 MSS EXCEEDED  1465 <== 14919 ==> 16384
So just to avoid TCP fragmentation from my router to Timewarner, the best MTU possible for me is 1464. It ends-up, that number is good all the way to the Google DNS 8.8.8.8
AND to www.techspot.com too

Another tool shows the MTU discovery (http://www.elifulkerson.com/projects/mturoute.php)

Code:
$ ./mturoute.exe -m 1492 184.173.241.66
* ICMP Fragmentation is not permitted. *
* Speed optimization is enabled. *
* Maximum payload is 1492 bytes. *
- ICMP payload of 1472 bytes is too big.
+ ICMP payload of 92 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 782 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1127 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1299 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1385 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1428 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1450 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1461 bytes succeeded.
- ICMP payload of 1466 bytes is too big.
+ ICMP payload of 1463 bytes succeeded.
+ ICMP payload of 1464 bytes succeeded.
- ICMP payload of 1465 bytes is too big.
Path MTU: 1492 bytes.  <<== my current Router setting is too large!!
I will give that a try when I get home.
I think mine is set to the auto 1500 and when I run the program from my shop using the same ISP (just on the other side of town) I get 1472 as the best.
Would having the MTU to high result in everything disconnecting from the wifi? Phones, tablets, everything say there was a connection error. Give it about 4-6 secs and they reconnect on there own most times.

DSL MTU modem uses 1454 to 1492 depends on your ISP.
Cable MTU modem 1500

When in doubt as your ISP what's the best setting for your router your using when it comes to MTU. As it seems they all vary now and not using the default 1492 again.

You have a lot devices there are they all using 802.11G. That router your using still available. I go by what's inside the hardware of these WiFi access points. You looking at both wired/wifi models.

DSL MTU modem uses 1454 to 1492 depends on your ISP.
Cable MTU modem 1500
I am on Timewarner CABLE and the above post shows that ALL mtu's above 1464 are fruitless (at least for me) and will be reduced anyway. The two programs noted will assist any user to determine what is appropriate for their ISP.

MTUs are akin to the "Weakest Link in the Chain" and seldom does our modem or router have the final determination.

Looks like some newer cell phone for Windows 8.1 phone does now support 802.11ac and dual band.

My Nexus 9 and Droid raze HD maxx both work just fine on the 5g WiFi. Sadly the Chromecast does not support 5g WiFi, but with the new router my whole network runs much faster and smoother. Up graded my network at work to a Netgear r7000 Nighthawk with ddwrt and everything runs much better!!

Back