Looking for the best deal on an ATI 4890

Status
Not open for further replies.

klepto12

i am looking to buy a new ATI 4890 and i want the best deal i can find any help would be appreciated.

This is the cheapest 4890 out there. $190 ($180 after $10 MIR) & free shipping.

I would recommend buying this version though. Double Lifetime warranty and free shipping for $197 & 50 cents.

no im not dissapointed with the 4850 but i have had the 4850 for like a year its time for an upgrade :)

well, how big is your monitor? if you're using a lower resolution, like 1280x1024 or 1440x900 buying a 4890 is almost a waste. these high-end cards offer the option to run displays at larger resolutions, and if you're using a smaller monitor you're not getting your money's worth. of course it's not a bad thing to have a lot of graphics horsepower; you might decide to upgrade your display in the future, so the choice is yours.

And +1 on XFX Radeons, good stuff! :)

Does monitor size really matter? Does price even matter? It's about personal preference and comfort, and even that can be highly flawed. Go back to when the 7 series from Nvidia was on top. Did anyone need the 7800 GTX, fine if you were playing on a res higher than 1920x1200 then it was justified but people still buy it even though they have smaller screens and could settle for something as low as the 7600 GT. Today is the same thing, no one really needs to have the top of the line cards in their machines, its just because you can. klepto has it in his budget to upgrade his graphics card. So I say go for it by all means, and the 4890 is a good choice now that price has come down to a competitive level with the 4870. See even now its easy to say, wait a month for the next gen cards to come out from ATI and get one of those. But then your always waiting...

Klepto can buy whatever he wants... I'm just pointing out that the 4890, and the 4870 for that matter, holds much more potential for use with larger resolutions. Since they are designed to run games at higher res, without sacrificing performance, using a smaller display is not utilizing that option. However, he should be able to max the AA in most games and see decent frame rates, which is great. I'm not discouraging investing in a high-end solution, but I want to make it clear that the 4890 (and 4870) are better solutions for large widescreen displays.

would someone explain the double lifetime warranty please? im not being flippant, i really don't understand it

Well, the way I see it. Lets say your video card X comes with a 1 year warranty, now if it has double lifetime warranty I would assume that gives video card X a 2 year warranty. I'm no rocket scientist however so don't take my word on it.

On second thought, lets say you live to the ripe old age of 70, after you die and get reincarnated and you find your old video card X and it has now malfunctioned you will be able to call up your manufacturer and get your video card reconditioned or replaced for a new unit.

would someone explain the double lifetime warranty please? im not being flippant, i really don't understand it

its a lifetime warranty that protects your video card, and its next owner provided that he/she register the video card on XFX's website

I will probably consider buying two XFX cards when the HD5000 series is released, because their prices are usually very reasonable and the DL warranty is a great coverage feature. I sold both of my old 8600GTs to a friend and XFX had no problem replacing one when it died, which was awesome. I also like the fact that their tech support is very helpful and informative. If XFX was manufacturing 4870s around the time I was shopping for one, I probably would have bought it. Don't get me wrong, I love my VisionTek cards but their prices (like diamond and sapphire) are on the high side.

i think the 4890 will hold me over till i get to build a new rig around tax season :) i cant wait till then but i will be buying a 5000 series card for windows 7 when i build the new computer :) i have a secret friend who just happens to work for microsoft hehe.

^damn u and your secret friend :haha:

i was planning to build something new near the end of the year, but i think i will be putting it off until next summer, maybe even later. regardless, i want DX11 support with 7 when it's launched so i've put some money aside for a pair of 5000s... hopefully they don't completely break the bank. i'd like to get at least $200 for both of my 4870s though, because I have no other crossfire boards lying around... or even a board with a single PCIe slot :(

yeah i had my q9550 rig go down and i have just the e7400 rig but it only has 1 pcie slot or i would hve just crossfired 2 4850s

always invest in power suppression units... lesson learned. you may end up losing the power suppressor, but your computer will survive so it's a small price to pay imo. i recommend the ultra units, some of them support up to 1200+ watts.

always invest in power suppression units... lesson learned. you may end up losing the power suppressor, but your computer will survive so it's a small price to pay imo. i recommend the ultra units, some of them support up to 1200+ watts.
Hi EX,
okay wanna learn me something ?LOL seriously, what should I look for in a power suppression unit? i have read that unless you get one that is up to a certain standard, you might as well not have one at all.

well you don't want to skimp that's for sure, a little 8-plug surge protector isn't going to cut it if there's a big power spike. you'll want something with at least a built-in breaker and maybe battery backup. there are some units that will power the computer for at least 30min so you can finish up what you are doing without it cutting out on you. of course there are premium solutions that include power monitoring, dual breakers, and all kinds of protection, but you might not need that. there are also certain wattage ratings and suppression ratings, so you'll need to find one that will cover your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back