Looking to build first PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

manofmany

Alright,

I've currently already got a thermaltake 500w W0100RU PSU sitting here I got for $20, brand new. Also have an Nvidia 7900GS XFX card which is perfect for my needs.

I'm thinking a Gigabyte board would be best
I want to go with an Intel Core 2 Duo, no more than 3.0ghz
Western Digital 500gb 7200RPM drive (although I have heard that many come DOA)
NO idea on a case/cooling, etc
Also need a DVDRW
Media card reader interface possibly.

My concerns are that I need a PCI-E port, DDR2 or DDR3 doesn't make a difference. I plan on purchasing from newegg and I am in the US.

The Mobo bios needs to allow me to switch my DVDRW from Sata to AHCI. If someone can recommend me a complete build I would be very, very thankful as I want to pass this current nice AMD system to my inlaws who need it badly.

Considering I have a GPU, PSU, and Wireless card already I don't think this should be TOO expensive. One last thing, is soldering required or does the CPU "pop" in per se?

OOOOOooooooOOOOOooooo!!!!!!

You could get one of the totally clear ones!

They aren't that expensive either. $50?

I'm tempted, but I'm kinda "married" to my current one.

And I don't mean that in the biblical sense. Ewww!

This is fine, though the only difference is the memory support and price. The motherboard you selected will support more expenive DDR3 RAM, again there is no real point unless your planning on heavily utilizing memory.

P.S.- Are you totally committed to Intel?

I've been checking out the AMD 4850e lately.

And it's CHEAP! $54?

Excellent recommendations so far by hellokitty[hk].

@manofmany, you can get a WD6400AAKS drive instead of the 500GB version. It's available for real cheap here. Also, if you need a case, I recommend this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back