Looking to buy a dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hola,
I am absolutely clueless as to what I should be looking (except that I know 16x is pretty much the standard) for and what brand(s) provide the best tech support and software? Please, if anyone can help me, thanks:)
-jonathan

I have an AOpen right now, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I'd sure like a Pioneer though, they make very good drives. The trayless slot ones are the one I want...

Both AOpen and Pioneer are great choices and I would definitely put more stock in the brand you buy than the speed. 16X is great but seriously a 10X will do the job fine for everyday use as long as the drive doesn't burn out the day after the warranty expires. I'd also check for dealers that place slightly older stock on auction boards like eBay for some really miraculous deals. Be sure, however, to really check up on the seller before you bid/buy. I got two great Pioneer 10X DVD drives this way.

Which one?

I think Sony or Pioneer... does anyone have any experience with ASUS DVD ROM? I heard it's good too..:)

10x or 16x, in real life the speed is the same when reading CDs (maybe 32-40x). And it doesn't affect playing DVD movies in any way, only reading DVD-ROMs (or ripping DVDs).
Does anyone know if the new DVD drives are region-free?

most of the DVD drives out there can upgrade with some cracked firmware, which makes them region free.

i know Pioneer 16x slot version can.
also all LG drives can.

Make sure you search on Storagereview.com - they rated the new LiteOn as the current champ. I have the Pioneer 106s which is the slot load. I love this drive. My buddy has the LiteOn and he says he really likes it too. I don't think you'll go wrong with either of these drives.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back