Lost access to share drive and Outlook after windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle2

Hi

My boss has a dell laptop, after installing windows XP updates yesterday he has lost access to the share document drive and outlook.

I have rejoined his account to the domain, now outlook intermittently connects but only on pressing send and receive.

I was able to ping the laptop and connect to the server in RDC from the laptop, so when I changed his AD account to reset password on next logon, this worked. Still no access to file share.

I have uninstalled the 4 updates - KB931784, KB932168, KB930178, KB931261 rebooted the laptop, now he can access the share drive docs, but outlook still not connecting. The work offline isnt ticked and manually control connection state is clear.

Any ideas? He said a format reload is too sledgehammer for his taste..

Its not just outlook he is having problems with, its the share drive.

Something on the windows update has messed his access settings on the network - so he can see the domain and the domain sees him but he cannot access the folders, and exchange..

So Ive not reinstalled outlook

try recreating the users profile on Exchange.

Also verify the workgroup name on the desktop system.

Are all shares inaccessible from this system? Perhaps the firewall settings
were lost.

Tried that Jobeard, no better. Turned off the firewall aswell and still no better.

Now I cant even see his laptop on the domain next to all the other pc's \ laptop's! But he can see the share doc's - but is still having problems with Outlook.

The virus def's are up to date have also run the stinger from Mcaffee and nothing found. Short of the sledgehammer Im pretty stuck at this time.

stick with the file sharing first. Outlook is dependent upon it.

I assume you have a Domain controller environment and all users
login to it. (verify?). If so, the workgroup (on the client) becomes the
domain controller domain-name.

So the DC server can't see the user, and the user can see but not access
server content? Delete the user from the DC environment and then rejoin.
(BE CAREFUL here; you may need to backup the users data first!).

We do Jobeard, everyone logs into the DC - 2003 server. Worgroup becomes domain.

Ive re-created the user, and his connection is still intermittent. Would it possibly be the nic on his laptop?

Can you UNC browse to the server's share?
EG: \\ipaddress-or-hostnameofserver\sharename

Can you ping the server's IP address as well as the hostname of the server?

You could always system restore back to a time you know it was working. But continue to troubleshoot it becuase it's fun! :)

Add the server's IP address and hostname into the PC's host file as a test.

Also, what kind of mailbox is set-up in Outlook? POP3? Exchange?

I rejoined the domain, on the LT - and system pings backwards and forwards OK - thats both server name and IP address :-D

Nah sr boring like you say - plus boss reckons its too sledgehammer for his liking - he hates IT..?? - I could respond with like but best not!!!!

Its Exchange server 2003 - and webmail works ok on LT as does the auto push to his PDA...

If you are pinging OK then you should be able to UNC path to the share.
If you can and you get prompted for credentials then the PC is not authenticating properly (but it shouldn't).
If you get to the share via the UNC path, then map the drive or set him up with a login script.

If he can use Outlook Web Access, he is authenticating correctly and should be able to get to all shares. If you still can't, check his AD user object for anything out of the ordinary, and check the share security settings for any "Deny" permissions or restrictions over the folder you are mapping to.

Hi, I am having the same issue. This is a clean install of Windows; can access network shares though after updating Windows I cannot access the shares anymore.

Have tried reinstalling but something to do with the updates is stopping me accessing my shares.

EDIT: It is my file server at home that I am having this issue with, it has an nForce2 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back