TechSpot

Lost GIGS from HD

By jbutvin
Jul 5, 2005
  1. Just wondering, this may be a stupid question.

When setting up windows xp through their format disc (with the bluescreens and such) you have the option to to format drives and install XP to a particular drive. One thing I noticed is that you can also create partitions for a drive. In my computer I have 120, 250, and 40 gig hard drives, but for some reason, it never alowed me to make a drive the actual space of the hard drive. Is this something common with hard drives, that they save some gigs for memory or something, or am I doing something wrong? For instance, the 120 only lets me use 113 gigs when i format it then make it into a new partition. Any ideas?

puke: Thanks.

2. pip22

pip22 TS Rookie

The discrepancy between what you expect and what you actually get is normal. Disk manufacturers quote a gigabtye = 1000 megabytes, when in fact it's actually 1024 megabytes. This discrepancy starts at the 'byte' level (there are actually 1024 bytes in a kilobyte - the makers quote this as 1000 again, and same for kilobytes, again it's actually 1024 in a megabyte, not 1000. By the time you work this out right up to the gigabyte level the discrepency is quite large, and obviously gets worse as the capacity increases.

3. jbutvin

jbutvin TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, I read something like that from an earlier post about terrabytes and I think chicibytes. Anyhow, kinda sucks but I guess there is nothing I can really do about it. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.