Lost internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUSTANGPC

I was browsing one afternoon and suddently I was cut off from the internet world. I just cannot browse any longer. Everytime I go to the Internet, I get an error message - no connection to the server. I checked with the Provider and they say there is nothing wrong with my connection. Yes, I have checked that myself and there is nothing wrong with my connection. I thought maybe its the work of some worm - I did a thorough cleaning and found nothing suspicious.

The Provider even advised that I restore to a good day when I had no problem - May 01 I suggested. And, that was what I did - nothing work!

Can someone help me out. Many thanks

What does your network look like? Do you have a router? Do you connect using dialup, cable modem, DSL or carrier pigeons?

What did you do when you got cut off?

fundamentals

please describe your network
{dial-up,dsl,cable}
{direct connection or router}
{one or multiple systems}

and of course we need your browser/email client

fyi: fundamental networking is diagnosed with
ping by address
ping 64.233.187.99​
this must work!
if this fails, then your hardware or software config needs attention

and
ping by name
ping google.com​

if this fails but ping by name is ok, then it's a DNS config problem
(could also be your host file or malicious software)

Cannot Browse The Internet

jobeard said:
please describe your network
{dial-up,dsl,cable}
{direct connection or router}
{one or multiple systems}

and of course we need your browser/email client

fyi: fundamental networking is diagnosed with
ping by address
ping 64.233.187.99​
this must work!
if this fails, then your hardware or software config needs attention

and
ping by name
ping google.com​

if this fails but ping by name is ok, then it's a DNS config problem
(could also be your host file or malicious software)

Thank you Jo and Nodsu for your quick response.

We have a cable broadband and we share thru a Linksy wired router. I went thru a thorough diagnostic check which include ping with the local Provider and to my surprise, there is connection. No problem with that but I cannot browse or get into the Internet. I suspect it could be some kind of BUG or like you say DNS config problem. :confused:

i've guessed you've probably gone through the whole restart modem, reset router gig while you were diagnosing with your ISP?

can any other pc/laptops connect to the internet?

run through these, to eliminate virii/warez problems that may be contributing to it:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html

try disabling any active firewalls just for troubleshooting purposes.

do you have norton installed?

N3051M said:
i've guessed you've probably gone through the whole restart modem, reset router gig while you were diagnosing with your ISP?

can any other pc/laptops connect to the internet?

run through these, to eliminate virii/warez problems that may be contributing to it:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html

try disabling any active firewalls just for troubleshooting purposes.

do you have norton installed?

Whilst diagnosing with the ISP we disabled firewalls - yes I have Norton installed. Anyhow, I'll try disabling active firewalls again.

i betcha its norton internet security yes??

uninstall that, as well as its orphans it leaves behind, then reboot, run your ISP's connection wizard/cd/setup thing..

N3051M said:
uninstall that, as well as its orphans it leaves behind, then reboot, run your ISP's connection wizard/cd/setup thing..
a lot of people here bash Norton for all kinds of reasons, but personally, believe it or not guys,
my runs, runs well, and does its job nicely. Perhaps taking it down would
remove one layer of suspicion until the problem is solved.

N3051M said:

Yeah, maybe I'll try what you suggest. Hey, is yours a Dual-core Intel940 CPU?

a lot of people here bash Norton for all kinds of reasons, but personally, believe it or not guys,
my runs, runs well, and does its job nicely. Perhaps taking it down would
remove one layer of suspicion until the problem is solved.
yes, true. usualy its norton pre 2003 era thats still good, but like some, when norton works it works beutifully.. its just depends on your other pc habits and its other programs that usualy screws it up in the end...

otherwise, still a good troubleshooting step, as experienced before in this matter...
Hey, is yours a Dual-core Intel940 CPU?
me?? just a normal p4 presscot chip

Houston - Everything Is Back To Normal

N3051M said:
yes, true. usualy its norton pre 2003 era thats still good, but like some, when norton works it works beutifully.. its just depends on your other pc habits and its other programs that usualy screws it up in the end...

otherwise, still a good troubleshooting step, as experienced before in this matter...
me?? just a normal p4 presscot chip

N3015M - Your suspicion is confirmed - I removed Norton and everything works. I have replaced it with McAfee. It seems to be working fine. Thanks for your good advice. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back