Lost Serial Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem..
I have a downloaded Windows XP Home edition disc that for some reason was removed from it's sleeve and the sleeve is no longer laying about.
The problem was noted when I went to do a fresh install to find I had used my disc and had no sleeve with which to input the serial.
I know the serial is embedded within the disc itself, so, I do in fact have the serial..
The question being; How do I get the serial number from my copy?
I realize this would be an asset if I were trying to steal the information from someone else software, this isn't the case here. It really chafes my sack I cannot use something I paid good money for. Can anyone help me out here?

All righty,
Let me say thanks for that response and I shall try to explain what I meant..not what I typed.
There are available for purchase through various parts retailers, 10 or more license packages of Microsoft Software aimed primarily at the small repair shop / modder / tech/ home-builder. It was one of these downloaded XP versions to which I was referring. What I needed it for was an actual windows XP disc which was already loaded on my machine for which I could not find the certificate/serial number for.
When I ran the keyfinder, I immediately recognized the serial since I had gone round and round with Microsoft on past occasions when I needed to activate the install after crashes and fresh installs,some on different builds. Although there was only one program actively being used. You can well imagine they thought I was misusing the disc for the benefit of many, not just myself..not true.
Anyhow, software NOT being my strong suit, I had difficulty getting the idea across I wasn't stealing from them, and once they heard the word HOMEBUILDER, they wanted to deny any responsibility for their own product telling me to get service from the vendor! I can see why Bill Gates got "PIED" well, that's the short story long, hope I clarified it for you and Thanks again,Tack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back