TechSpot

Lost Serial Number

By THE TACKMAN
Sep 14, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a problem..
    I have a downloaded Windows XP Home edition disc that for some reason was removed from it's sleeve and the sleeve is no longer laying about.
    The problem was noted when I went to do a fresh install to find I had used my disc and had no sleeve with which to input the serial.
    I know the serial is embedded within the disc itself, so, I do in fact have the serial..
    The question being; How do I get the serial number from my copy?
    I realize this would be an asset if I were trying to steal the information from someone else software, this isn't the case here. It really chafes my sack I cannot use something I paid good money for. Can anyone help me out here?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Actually reading your post is a bit confusing (maybe you could re-read it too)

The key is held in Windows, not the CD (which are all generic)

Here's a program that will show it to you (as long as Windows presently works still)

Keyfinder 1.06
    http://majorgeeks.com/Keyfinder_Thing_Lite_d5253.html
    License: Freeware
    Requires: Win All

What does that line mean again?
  3. THE TACKMAN

THE TACKMAN Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

All righty,
    Let me say thanks for that response and I shall try to explain what I meant..not what I typed.
    There are available for purchase through various parts retailers, 10 or more license packages of Microsoft Software aimed primarily at the small repair shop / modder / tech/ home-builder. It was one of these downloaded XP versions to which I was referring. What I needed it for was an actual windows XP disc which was already loaded on my machine for which I could not find the certificate/serial number for.
    When I ran the keyfinder, I immediately recognized the serial since I had gone round and round with Microsoft on past occasions when I needed to activate the install after crashes and fresh installs,some on different builds. Although there was only one program actively being used. You can well imagine they thought I was misusing the disc for the benefit of many, not just myself..not true.
    Anyhow, software NOT being my strong suit, I had difficulty getting the idea across I wasn't stealing from them, and once they heard the word HOMEBUILDER, they wanted to deny any responsibility for their own product telling me to get service from the vendor! I can see why Bill Gates got "PIED" well, that's the short story long, hope I clarified it for you and Thanks again,Tack
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.