Loud Noise from video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magniitude

Well last night I turned off the computer and when I turned it on this morning, it was making this really loud noise, kind of like the fan noise magnified 20x. I restarted it, waited a while, and it seemed to dissipate..until it started making a sound kind of like a buzzsaw was inside my machine.Then it would go back to the first, and make alternating, continuous noises everyone ten minutes or so. It's not affecting anything; everything runs as it should be. I haven't made any updates to it recently, i tried updating drivers, and nothing. I knew it was my video card because i took it out and turned the computer on without any noise. It was working fine for about a year or so, I'm not sure what's up.

I have a BFG 5500 PCI card, if anyone wanted to know.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Dopefisher has hit on the problem. I had a FX 5700 Ultra and the fan started to make the identical sound. The fan is going bad. It will speed up and then slow down and start all over again until it stops altogether. See if you can get a replacement fan from the manufacturer, but with the age of that card and the prices of the 6000 and 7000 series cards as they are, it may be a better investment to throw your money into a new gpu.

sghiznaneck said:
Dopefisher has hit on the problem. I had a FX 5700 Ultra and the fan started to make the identical sound. The fan is going bad. It will speed up and then slow down and start all over again until it stops altogether. See if you can get a replacement fan from the manufacturer, but with the age of that card and the prices of the 6000 and 7000 series cards as they are, it may be a better investment to throw your money into a new gpu.

yes, and with the fan going bad like it is, your card is guaranteed to go not long after.

Well I got curious and took the fan off, brushed some dust off, and put it back in, and voila! Quiet as before. This almost ruined my gaming holidays :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back