Low FPS in CS 1.6 - Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,TechSpot'ers,I need your help.
When I play CS 1.6 on my computer,most of the time the FPS is really bad,and by bad I mean 30 and lower :(
This problem mainly happens when there are many details on the screen,like a lot of players,smoke grenades (smoke brings my FPS down to as low as 19!) or big maps with alot of background and texture (like Surf maps,if anyone knows what I'm talking about),when I play in empty maps the FPS jumps back to 99.
I tried turning off V-sync,I tried using the softward Refresh Lock(altough I'm not so sure I know how to use it properly :| ),I tried deleting junk from my drivers and making more space,I tried shutting off all running programs that's not related to the game when I play,yet I see no change.
My computer set-up is:
Intel pentium Dual CPU
E2180 @ 2Ghz
0.99Ghz RAM
Interl(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (onboard GFX accelrator)
I know it doesn't keep up with today's monsters,but I think it's more than fine to run a 12 years old game that runs on Quake engine.
So tell me forum,what do i do?
Thanks alot for reading and helping.

first thing i would check is background processes such as anti-virus software and look for CPU or RAM usage. u stated 0.99Ghz RAM which is probably 0.99GB RAM (which is just under 1GB). that should be more than enough for CS 1.6 to run but if something is using a large chunk of memory like AV software or an open browser you may experience slow downs. if this is a desktop computer i would recommend upgrading to a dedicated graphics card with at least 256MB of video memory. something like an 8400GS would probably be perfect; affordable too. of course you could always lower the screen resolution,with what you have, but image quality will be somewhat degraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back