Low FPS when playing... most things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have realized not too long ago that 15-20 fps is nowhere near optimal, and most people tell me it is not even viable... but that has not really stopped me for the past 3 years.

Anyways, I am not sure what is causing the low fps in games (right now the only one I really play is Guild Wars), I suspect it is the graphics card, which I do not think is very good. I am not very tech-savvy and am not sure what you need to know so I will just list what I know at the moment and if you need more to help tell me.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3200+
1.99 GHz, 1.12 GB of RAM
Graphics Card: MSI Radeon XPress200

Thanks!

The ATI 200 graphics are integrated graphics, are they not? From what I just googled, the ATI 200 Express chipset is the whole motherboard with graphics included. I think I have the same chipset in an Emachines box with a MSI 410 something or other mobo.

Assuming your drivers are up to date, there isn't much you can do other than installing another video card.

Hmm... the sticker on the computer says "Graphics card ATI Radeon XPress200 with a PCI-slot for future upgrades."

...but heres the copied info from the download:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1151 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
CPU Speed: 1989.0 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: MSI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series | MSI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1360 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552B | F: HL-DT-STCD-ROM GCR-8483B
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 145.3GB | D: 3.7GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 49.7GB | D: 1.7GB
USB Controllers: 3 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: T6212
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 02/15/05 | RS480 - 42302e31
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: MS-7093
Modem: SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

:

Graphics card ATI Radeon XPress200 with a PCI-slot for future upgrades

That's your answer, those are integrated graphics. I think that's the same sticker I have. I'm hoping your sticker actually says "PCI- E" slot for future upgrades.

This is a bought computer is it not? Anyway all the information I have seen tells me this chipset does indeed have a "PCI-E x 16" expansion slot, which is exactly what you need to install a better video card.

"PCI-Express slot"

That's what the sticker said, woops

(PCI-E, I hope?)

Edit:
Great! Now how would I go about that? How expensive would a decent card be?

also, are you sure that it is in fact the card that is making the game slow?

Thanks for all your help! :)

Yes, PCI- "Express" is PCI-E

An upgrade in a video card is dependent upon how much you have to spend, and also in what you have in the way of a power supply.

This ATI video chipset 4770, seems to be everybody's darling right now, selling at about $100. 00. I'm pretty sure you would have to upgrade the stock PSU in the process. You could catch a really decent sale on a quality PSU from Antec or Corsair in the 40 to 50 dollar range.

You could go Window shopping at Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Store/Computer.aspx?page=1 and maybe read a few more threads to arm yourself with a bit more info, so as to be able to make more informed buying decisions.

The HD 4770 chipset must be a mover, Newegg shows 6 cards with that chipset and all are sold out. Here's one to look over anyway; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102835

Well I have realized not too long ago that 15-20 fps is nowhere near optimal, and most people tell me it is not even viable... but that has not really stopped me for the past 3 years.

:D I feel ya played for years with 10-20fps as I never had good hardware. Never stopped me from playing or doing well either.

Edit: Oops looks like I post to slow =X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back