Low Half-Life 2 fps on VERY high end PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting around 28-40 fps on Half-Life 2 even though I have the following system specs:

AMD 4800+ Dual core 64 bit cpu
Dual Geforce 7800 GTX 512 mb SLI
Asus SL8N SLI motherboard
2 GB PC3200 ram (ultra low latency)
SoundBlaster X-Fi sound card
Nforce 4 chipset.

Here is the real kicker. When I set the resolution to 1600 X 1200 with X4 anti-aliasing and X16 anisotopric filtering I get somewhere between 28-40 fps (which frankly is too low for a system like this). BUT WHEN I THEN TURN THE RESOLUTION DOWN TO 640 X 480 WITH ANTI-ALIASING AND ANISTROPIC FILTERING TURNED OFF AND EVERY OTHER GRAPHICS SETTING TO LOW, I STILL GET 28-40 FPS!

In other words, drastically reducing the graphics setting has no impact whatsoever on frame rates.

I have the latest video card drivers, sound card drivers, motherboard drivers, direct X drivers, etc.. I even reformatted my computer with a fresh install of Windows Xp and installed all the latest drivers on top of this fresh installation, and there was no change! I can't figure out why this is happening. Doom 3 seems to run ok (60 fps with everything turned up to the max).

Holy crack, he has 2 512MB 7800GTX cards in SLi!!! Hey dude, er... if all else fails, try an Asus A8N-E or A8N5X motherboard and try 1 7900GT(X) or 1 X1900XT(X) card. Then reformat, disk defrag, disk cleanup and download newest drivers and patch to latest version of HL2 and retry. It might actually work.

.....try 1 7900GT(X) or 1 X1900XT(X) card.
At the cost of hundreds of dollars for either card, how realistic is it to "try" these top of the line cards?

Adema, your performance problem with Half-Life 2 might be related to your dual core processor. See this link at Steampowered.com. I know it talks about crashes but it also addresses AMD dual core performance issues farther down.

Also, to take full advantage of your dual core processor, you might have to upgrade your motherboard BIOS, although that depends on what BIOS version you already have.

Alot of games are having issues with dual core processors and one of the cores has to be disabled for the game to run smoothly.

I remember seeing a test or something on Tomshardware.com where that SLI and Crossfire and other fancy graphics card having attrociously low fps and sometimes failing altogether.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but this was the only hit i got for this problem

My system

AMD X2 4200
ECS KA3 MVP
HD3870 + HD3850 in CrossfireX
2gb DDR2 667
80gb SATA 3.0 seagate drive
Windows XP SP2
Now here is the Issue indoors i get 75FPS i turned vsync on because i was getting tearing, but outdoors even with vsync off im getting 20FPS which seems rather low considering the grahpics horsepower i have going on and I know my CPU bottlenecks my Crossfire setup but even with no AA or AF on i get 20FPS even at 6x8 to test it, my default is 12x10. Now here is what I ask why?

I tired dual core optimizer to no effect, also not using CAt 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back