lowlevel format cluster size

By bleedin_ears
Aug 24, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    I am using my eight IDE 40 gig raid 0 drive array TOTAL of 320 gig with 1 partition of 320 gig to edit video. When low level formatting my array I can select many different cluster sizes to format this array to. Which cluster size would be best for video? I am using Windows XP pro with NTFS drive formating. Currently I am using a 1,024 cluster size and the system seems sluggish. My system uses Dual 2 gig Xeon processors with 1 gig ram on a SuperMicro board. Any information will be appriciated.

Dave
    bleedin_ears@yahoo.com
  2. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

A low-level format is a factory format in which track and sector information is written to the disc. You aren't low level formatting if there is already an existing filesystem, that is a high level format.

With a partition of that size I would suggest 4kb clusters for NTFS.
  3. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

Update: I forgot about cluster size specification.

For video editing, and a partition of that size, I suggest clusters of 64kb - The largest they can be.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.