TechSpot

MacBook Pro password

By Louismakai
Jun 22, 2010
  1. Hi I have just brought a Mac book pro on bay and the computer has a password which was not supplied and came with no operating disks have I wasted my money or is there any way around this I thought it was a bios but have been told it's called firmware.?

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

That's an openfirmware password - To forcefully remove that password you have to do two things:
    Add or remove DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM in the computer. Then reset the PRAM 3 times (Command + Option + P + R).

3. Louismakai

Louismakai TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry I'm a bit of a technophobe what are dims??

Sorry bit of a Mac technophobe what are DIMMS and where are hay found

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,373   +289

DIMMs are your memory modules - sometimes just called RAM sticks. On a MBP you'll have to unscrew a plate from the bottom of the laptop to access them - but please research the proper way to remove one before attempting it. There are videos on youtube that you can watch to see how. You will likely have only 2 DIMMs installed so only remove one of them and then reset the PRAM before reinstalling the DIMM.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.