Machine Check Expection

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanAU

So I've heard about this error and i have yet to discover how to fix it. Will reformatting the computer fix it, or what. What do i need to do guys.

Hi, welcome to TechSpot.

Go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. There should be some files with a .dmp extension. Post 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps from the aforesaid directory as attachments into this thread.

Regards :)

Computer Freezing/MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Okay, So i have been doing alot of reasearch on this problem. When I first built my computer back in 05' it was working perfectly except for the fact that it kept trying to connect to the internet. Although the ethernet cord was connected to both my computer and the router it still had a problem connecting. It usually took a few minutes to connect. I did not think anything of it.

Since I've been home from college a number of problems have occured. At first my computer said it was missing or had corrupting files in the system32 folder. I easily reparied that with a PS/2 keyboard in the Windows XP setup using the "r" repair selection. Then things got even worse. When I would restart the computer it would load up my desktop and freeze at random times and sometimes a blue screen would come up with the error message saying: MACHINE_CHECK_EXPECTION.

After researching, I discovered that it could be bad RAM, or poor airflow through my tower. I was then told from somebody on here to check my minidump files. Since I had no response after I posted my minidump files, I downloaded Debugging tools from Micrsoft. I ran both minidumps, the first one was "afd.sys" in the system32 folder and the other was an "ati" file probably having something to do with my gfx card.

I was also reading on forums around the internet that my computer could be freeszing due to my computer searching for an internet connectivity and not being able to find one. Since it can't find it it boosts the packets and then the computer is not ready for it so it freezes unexpectedly. Some people posted saying that a hotfix from Microsoft could be the problem. Others say to screw that and wait for the next service pack. I don't know when the last service pack came out, i could have been at college. So i disabled my internet..restarted my computer and this is the longest it's lasted without freezing for awhile. I am currently downloaded windows updates and the second service pack.

If this does not work, does anyone believe that formating my computer could fix this problem? If not what does everyone else suspect?
(Btw these were my inidump files: mini091205-01.dmp & mini110705-10(this one was faded in the folder))

Thank you, I'll appreiciate all feedback.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have merged your new thread into this one.

Normally a Machine_Check_Exception is caused by faulty hardware(see below).

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

If updating your Windows doesn`t help and I`ve no reason to think it will, go and read this thread HERE.

If that still doesn`t help, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back