Machine Exception Error on Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a very annoying problem with my laptop! When I have the ac adapter plugged in the laptop boots fine and works perfect. If I try to boot up using just the battery I am getting a machine exception error and it reboots itself. Also when the ac adapter is in, as soon as I unplug it the laptop runs for a couple of seconds and then blue screens.

The battery is 95% charged and I have tested it on a friends laptop and it worked perfect.

I have tried reinstalling XP but that didnt cure the problem. In order to reinstall I had to physically remove the battery as the install kept hanging with 13 minutes to go, it was the registering components phase. As soon as I removed the battery the install went straight on!

I have tried to follow the instructions to debug the minidumps but I have got completley confused, its like double dutch!!

If anyone could suggest a fix or make sense out of the minidumps I would be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash with a bugcheck of 9C.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

In your case, it is almost certainly caused by a faulty battery. Changing the battery, may well solve your problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

THanks for the swift reply Howard.

I have tried discharging and recharging the battery but the problem still occurs. I have now discovered that if I send the laptop into hibernation with the power lead in, I can start the laptop from hibernation using the battery, I can run the laptop on battery ok but as soon as I try to turn it off or send it into hibernation it blue screens on me.

Do you think this is anything to do with the power circuits inside the laptop? As I mentioned the battery has been tested on a different laptop and worked fine. I have thought about disabling ACPI but my bios does not have the option to turn it off there??

Thanks

Do you think this is anything to do with the power circuits inside the laptop?

I suppose that is a possibility.

If you`re sure the battery is ok, then the only other thing you can do, is have the laptop looked at, by a professional.

Regards Howard :)

Hi

A development! I have found that changing a setting in the BIOS CPU section to maximum performance on battery lets me boot up and shut down on battery. However, in the XP power management screen, if I try different settings I am getting different results, for example, if I select always on I can not standby without getting BSOD. If I select maximum battery I can not hibernate without getting BSOD.

It also seems that the laptop will boot and shut down ok on different settings for a few times and then suddenly it will BSOD on me again!!

I have the latest BIOS version and chipset, lots of different diagnostic software does not report any hardware errors. I am starting to suspect this is a power management problem but there is no option to disable in the BIOS and I cant work out how to do it in XP.

All ideas welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back