TechSpot

Maingear ships $999 MX-L 15 multimedia laptop

By Matthew
Mar 3, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catering to its usual audience, Maingear has launched a new multimedia-friendly laptop. The MX-L 15 starts at $999 and is outfitted with a 15.6-inch 1366x768 display, an Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz processor, 2GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, an AMD Mobility Radeon 4570 512MB, a 160GB 7200RPM HDD, and a DVD burner.

Read the whole story
  2. Xyvis

Xyvis TS Rookie Posts: 18

Nice notebook, we're really starting to see more and more of the i3 and i5 processors popping up in them.
  3. jboy72

jboy72 TS Member

Yeah in addition to that no bloatware.. nice notebook for all your multimedia needs.
  4. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Rookie Posts: 141

I am trying to review these specs again and again.. but I do not see the $999 price tag being justified here.

The default processor and video card are decent, but the screen is rubbish. For some reason Maingear has decided to only include 2gb of RAM, a 160gb hd, and no Blu-ray. Honestly, it seems overpriced.
  5. rajmond

rajmond TS Rookie Posts: 45

I still cannot make a comparison between Maingear and Alienware...You can get a Alienware M15x for 1199 dollars which is ALMOST twice better then this Maingear
  6. supyo

supyo TS Rookie Posts: 42

2GB seems like an odd default configuration for an otherwise nicely spec'd machine.
  7. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

Nah, needs more RAM especially for the price. Rather have a Gateway nv5909.
  8. fref

fref TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

Never heard of this company, but I wish more companies would adopt the "no bloatware" policy.
  9. JamesW

JamesW TS Rookie Posts: 24

Great looking laptop with tempting capabilities, but worth the price? Lacks RAM and is hard to compare to my favorite Macs
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.