TechSpot

Maingear ships workstation PC aimed at CS5 professionals

By Matthew
Apr 12, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot on the heels of Adobe Creative Suite 5, custom computer maker MainGear has launched its new Quantum Shift workstation PC for professionals. Starting at $3,399, the system is equipped with an Intel Core i7-960 processor, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 GPU with 1.5GB of VRAM, 6GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM, 750GB of storage, a DVD burner, a 1KW modular PSU, maintenance-free liquid cooling, and Windows 7 Professional x64.

Read the whole story
  2. Seriously, starting price of that system over 3g's....you could build it with all of the components listed as save over a grand!
  3. Lifetime labor??? What about lifetime parts? Geez....
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,346   +396

LOL...lifetime anything is a joke in the computer world. These machines will be seriously outdated in 5 years and end up being used as doorstops.
  5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

Wow who are they trying to complete with in price Apple?
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,074   +76

96gb of RAM? Holy overkill Batman! Is CS5 really that graphics intensive that it needs that much? I use CS4 and rendering on that is, at max, 10 seconds on my machine with only have 8gb of ram. Maya and 3DS Max on the other hand sometimes take considerably longer.
  7. Yeah! true, I don't think CS5 needs so much RAM, or even the Nvidia GTX 480 GPU. That's a true GAMING computer not for just CS5
  8. Souljacker

Souljacker TS Rookie Posts: 24

Cs5 needs lots of ram, moreso than gaming. Though 96Gb is probably overkill!
  9. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

The real target with that much power is video production. Doing video renders in Premier and other parts of the CS suite can definitely use that much power - and having a powerful (unfortunately Nvidia spesific) video card can really make a huge difference. Not sure i can think of needing that much RAM though. Just get a fast SSD drive instead.
  10. If you are editing graphics intensive timelines and hi-resolution footage (HD, 4k or even uncompressed SD) or are working with multiple layered composites in HD you need it or you'll be doing more waiting than editing.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.