Major FPS drop while recording, even with fast game

Morena

I tried out DXtory2.0 to record Minecraft and downloaded the XVid codec to speed things up. But though the game runs fast (150fps when not recording, 60-80 when I am) the video comes out choppy when I watch later. The write speed on the folder I allocated to put the recorded videos in varies from 20-60 mB/s. I tried dedicating more RAM to Minecraft, setting priority of java high, setting priority of DXtory high, using a USB readyboost, etc. Any ideas as to why this may be?

Also if it helps, sometimes when I'm playing Minecraft with detailed settings, like rendering far and enabling smooth lighting, etc, it becomes choppy and lags for like half a second, before returning to its original 100+ FPS. When I am actually recording, the FPS of the video recorded is far, far slower (10-20FPS) while the game was running at 40-100 when it was being recorded.

My OS is Windows XP.
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Processor: Q8300 @ 2.50 GHz
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850

I've spent ages trying to figure this out. It's really frustrating, but currently doing a malware scan. Thanks :)

Recording gameplay while playing a game on the same machine is very taxing in general especially seeing as how mincraft is very CPU intensive. Your running on an old Q8300 and the program your using is probably taxing the machine to much and that is causing the skips.

You may want to try a program like Fraps that can limit the frame rates unless the program your using has that option. Many online youtubers or such limit the recording frame rate to 30FPS on lower machines and 60 on upper machines.

Thats probably what your going to have to do.

Recording gameplay while playing a game on the same machine is very taxing in general especially seeing as how mincraft is very CPU intensive. Your running on an old Q8300 and the program your using is probably taxing the machine to much and that is causing the skips.

You may want to try a program like Fraps that can limit the frame rates unless the program your using has that option. Many online youtubers or such limit the recording frame rate to 30FPS on lower machines and 60 on upper machines.

I dont think FRAPS will work on his machine, it may be too weak. Not entirely sure though.

I tried fraps about 3 years ago and it was fine in single player, but the file came out huge. Do you have any more ideas for programs? And dxtory frames are limited to 30 just that they sit at 12 when I record in the game for some reason, while game is totally lag free running with plenty of fps.

If it was taxing the machine shouldn't Minecraft lag too?

What do you recommend upgrading on this computer and is it really that bad
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I tried fraps about 3 years ago and it was fine in single player, but the file came out huge. Do you have any more ideas for programs? And dxtory frames are limited to 30 just that they sit at 12 when I record in the game for some reason, while game is totally lag free running with plenty of fps.

If it was taxing the machine shouldn't Minecraft lag too?

What do you recommend upgrading on this computer and is it really that bad
Thanks for the replies everyone :)
Well minecraft in general ever with optimizations has been well known to be a CPU and memory Hogg. You may be exhausting all the memory in the game and the memory for the recorder. I can say that your machine in general maybe a bit stressed on CPU and Memory side to run minecraft and a recording device but I do not have enough experience with the program your using to record to be sure.

Fraps is what ive used to record my videos in recent times game or otherwise. I know you have an AMD card, but have you tried Nvidia's shadowplay since it also records games and works on any system?

Yeah but do you have an idea of why minecraft is running super fast and perfectly fine, while dxtory lags heaps? If CPU can somehow be allocated to dxtory instead of minecraft it would be better. Also, I tried Camtasia with the same result, slow recordings, fast game.

I will retry fraps again, but is there a way to reduce the file size as massive files are slightly irritating? Where do you get Nvidia's shadowplay, looks good.

Thanks for your help :)

Back