Major upgrades causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie_42

Hi folks,

I just bought a bunch of new computer part to give my system a complete overhaul. I bought everything except case, HD, and cd/dvd drives.

560W HiPer PSU
1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Foxconn 590 SLI mobo
7600gt
AMD X2 4200 proc
19" LCD

I have plugged/screwed/installed everything (not my first build). I upgraded from an AGP slot video to the PCI-x16. and from a amd 2000+ to the dual core.

I can get everything to power on, the RAM posts, i can get into the Bios and browse in there. The problem is that when i try to boot windows from my HD it stops, and restarts. The windows logo shows on the screen for about 1 sec and then it restarts.

When i put the HD back into my old system it boots to windows just fine and shows an error that "a major error has occured" but no other information.

Any suggestions?

I cant really cross reference any parts because this was such a major upgrade the two systems cant share anything, othere then IDE devices.

Thanks

It sounds like you are trying to boot this new system from a previous installation of windows, unless I am reading you wrong.

Put in your XP cd and run a "system repair". This will load in all the drivers for your new system. Currently, windows is trying to load up the drivers for your old motherboard, and choking on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back