TechSpot

Major US ISPs joining RIAA, MPAA to punish pirates

By Matthew
Jun 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Several top US Internet service providers are collaborating with the entertainment industry to clamp down on piracy, according to a CNET report. After years of being hounded by groups such…

Read the whole story
  2. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TS Enthusiast Posts: 140

I can't really post a major argument . But damn , sucks for you guys in the US . This is kinda retarded . 2 years in prison ? Freedom my *** . Haha , seriously the more i read the news , the more the US government and big businesses gain even larger quantities of power and control over you guys. Awesome ~!
  3. mccartercar

mccartercar TS Enthusiast Posts: 111   +15

TOR Onion Network....Point Moot
  4. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

ISP's shouldn't care
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,536   +301

I'm able to 'escape' it. My ISP seems to serve a very limited area along the stretch of I-44 in Missouri and perhaps Oklahoma.

I don't have the access to the cheap fast speeds most everyone else in the US does, but I guess the tradeoff is my ISP isn't negotiating with the **AAs.
    I'm speaking with some ignorance on this so perhaps I'm wrong. But I was under the impression that if you were going to do some questionable things such as downloading movies or music by using TOR it would take a lot longer, ie the dl speeds are terrible. Also, that the more people that started using it for such activities where files are often in the GB range, things would only get slower.
  6. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Translation, the consumer will ultimately be the one that ends up paying to cover these expenses.
  7. to: freedomthinker

So much for a self-proclaimed "thinker." The 2-year prison example refers to France, not the US. Learn to read before spilling your pretentious banality.
  8. I can't really post a major argument . But damn , sucks for you guys in the US . This is kinda retarded . 2 years in prison ? Freedom my *** . Haha , seriously the more i read the news , the more the US government and big businesses gain even larger quantities of power and control over you guys. Awesome ~!

Read it again. That paragraph refers to France laws. D'oh!
  9. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 552   +102

Downloading illegally does not "stick it to the man" as so many think. It just makes them do retarded crap like this. If you really want to hurt them, don't buy their products til it comes down to a reasonable price. Force them to drop their prices. Its simple and legal. You DONT have to have that game, movie or song the day it comes out and they do make more.

I'm all for busting these greedy corporations down a peg, but there are better means than getting myself or others in legal trouble.
  10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Will they impose sanctions like the UN? Essential goods only, but no luxury resources? You can check your e-mail, but can't access Hulu?
  11. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Except if you are not living in the USA :).

Go win…

12. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Wow, that must be death penalty to a "social network" addict, but to come to think to what we have ended. I never tough i was gona say this, but good thing every thing is legal in Mexico.
  13. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 968   +99

Well if that was the case, ISP could be sued by these big corporations...

Anyway 2 warnings and then you busted? Sounds good to me ;)
  14. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

seriously, lower the prices, and there won't be any pirating going on. recent study i've read from google news have shown that average software price is well above average income of consumer, and that's just in developed country like ours. in developing countries, it's way over consumers' spending capability. and they wonder why China and India can't stop the fluid of piracy. with steam's increasing popular weekly blow-out sales, gamers are finding better deals and less reason to pirate. just my 2c.
  15. What they should do is clamp down prices. I will be to honest, I'm not poor, but if I had to pay for every movie, song, game, etc than I use every year (not a library I swear) it will be a huge punch to my economy because of how ridicolous ammount of money it would be. Piracy is wrong, so their prices.
  16. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Like the idea will probably the end result after this "mess" is over and done with. Personally i would just like content to be more readily available, very limited where i live for what i want.
  17. Modena

Modena TS Enthusiast Posts: 182

They need to lower the cost of their crap media and we will pay accordingly. I'm not gonna pay $30 to watch whatever movie in 3D and have it suck on top of it. IMO ISP's should have zero say in what we view or download. Most are already putting up caps on how much we can use per month, now they're also going to ban us for using it how we want? If anything they are the ones stealing from us with 95% of the media out the game/movies being complete garbage.
  18. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

This is crap. I live in Australia where our prices are stupidly high for no reason than to profit the suppliers and we do fine. Hell, one of my best mate is completely broke yet still has money to buy movies and games out the yin-yang: however many dvd/blurays it takes to fill a large bookshelf, double tiered, two display stands and a medium sized bookshelf, not to mention the pile next to the tv. So you cannot really complain that your life is so horrible because of the prices of the media that you desire.

I personally spend my money on other things, but that is for another thread…
  19. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 567   +81

Wow thank god I live in Canada!

I guess now we can say Blame America :)
  20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,680   +880

So "Big Brother" really is watching. There's a f****** big surprise.
  21. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 901   +52

Rogers and Bell will likely try to do the same, heck they both already attempted to cap bandwidth even getting the CRTC on their side.
  22. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,536   +301

I agree. Apparently now we give service providers policing powers?
  23. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,680   +880

The trouble is, now that the IPS will be policing the internet with the media providers, both sides have no incentive whatsoever to lower prices. In fact, they'll probably raise them. They used to call s*** like this a monopoly. Now I suppose, they can get away with calling it a "consortium".

But I suppose the good little sheep will go along with it, instead of boycotting it altogether.

Where have all the windbags gone that shouted, "death to Blockbuster"? Blockbuster and Redbox, could turn out to be your only escape from this nonsense.
  24. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Wait, so let me get this straight. ISPs are joining the RIAA and MPAA, to monitor, and consequently punish "illegal" file sharing. Now, isn't that a major violation of the customer's privacy? How can they, both morally and legally, be allowed to even plan on doing this? Did I miss something?
  25. since when do you think your ISP is worried about what moral, ethical, or really even legal for that matter? I can think of many things that several things these companies do that just barely scrapes any of those and they don't even get a second look by good ol gov't. This same statement goes for MPAA and RIAA also.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.