Making a manual dual boot menu automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm running windows 2000 and XP on my Dell Latitiude C840 and I have a dual boot menu that I have to choose what OS to load. How do I modify it to auto boot XP and only bring up the boot menu when I press the appropriate key?

Never seen anybody be able to do that if both installs are on one drive. Have you looked at the Microsoft Knowledgebase on Dual Boots?

And are they Dell Windows installs, or OEM, or Full Installs... and did you install Windows XP first?

Not sure on the XP Pro one. It was installed when I got the laptop. But the license key on the sticker is for win2000 and I had an extra Dell OEM Win2000 OS so I just installed it. I repaired the XP boot file and the boot menu works fine. Now I want it to load XP automatically and be able to choose 2000 by pressing a key

No I haven't been to Microsoft's site. Both OS are on the same hard drive with win2000 just put on a new logical drive

Never seen anybody be able to do that if both installs are on one drive. Have you looked at the Microsoft Knowledgebase on Dual Boots?

I've routinely dual booted with different OS's on the same drive. The issue isn't if the two installs are on the same drive but rather are they in their own partitions on the same drive? (i.e. do they each have their own drive letter assigned?)

/* EDIT */
Here's simple instructions to change those boot options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back