Making google maps my default? How?

learninmypc

I do not like the default maps on the iphone & have been using Google maps for years. Now I tap on an address in messenger & it opens in apples map, I've been googling it this morning but their instructions don't work, help please.
3 Answers
activeoldestvotes
up vote3down vote
Unfortunately, you can't (unless you jailbreak your iPhone). Anyway, from iOS 8, you are allowed to use your preferred navigator, once Maps has been opened:

1. Open an address (it will open with Apple Maps by default).
  2. Tap the "car" button, as you do to get directions.
  3. Tap the "share" button, then tap "Transport apps".
  4. Choose the app navigator you prefer, among the installed ones (I.e., Google Maps). You will be redirected to the one you chose.
It's not as changing the default, but it's surely easier than typing an address manually in your preferred app.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/228898/open-addresses-in-google-maps-instead-of-apple-maps

I'm talking about on my iphone/ipad, not desktop. I have the google maps app but now instead of it opening automatically in google, it does so in the default apple maps

Besides, the default apple map don't have "Bike" directions.(n)Thanks for #Google Maps, just need help.

Besides, the default apple map don't have "Bike" directions.(n)Thanks for #Google Maps, just need help.

I don't think apple will allow you to do this, if you have FB messenger I would recommend you get rid of that and let the normal sms messenger app handle your messages.
Enable chrome to be the default browser on the phone, do not open up safari again.
I don't know what is with browser apps, but they fight like hell to have lead rights to open up things for you.
I got sick of that problem when I came back to android last year and just don't bother with anything else and use chrome.
https://www.lifewire.com/choose-default-apps-on-iphone-4044162

Ok, in fb messenger, I tap the address & get the option showing in post #5. I think it used to be that way in apples imessenger too. I don't use safari for anything, use chrome instead. I'll check out your link & post back, thanks.
#EDIT, nice link, thanks

Last edited:
Back