Making the Jump from 6600GT to 6800GT worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatastrophE

Hey guys :)

Ok i've got a bit of a predicament, I upgraded to 6600GT 128MB about 2 years ago to play Doom3 at High detail and 1280xXXX and had fun there, but I couldent help but notice that people seemed to make a jump to 6800GT instead of hang about.
A few years later games like F.E.A.R and Quake 4 have been released.
I bought F.E.A.R yesterday and am enjoying a pretty problem free experience but I get the feeling it could be a bit smoother, big fights and wide, open area's give me quite bad problems.
i'm running on a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ with 1 gig of DDR and of course the 6600GT.
I'm begining to think that maybe upgrading to a 6800GT 256DDR3 AGP 8X would be a good investment (they are slightly cheaper than the pricey X800XT's) but I really wanted some other people's oppinions, will the extra power of the 6800 push games like F.E.A.R and other future games a bit harder, or is it a waste of money upgrading when there are other powerfull cards out?
or maybe it's not my Card that need's upgrading but my Processor...i'm a little overwhelmed lol.
anyway, my question is, will it make a difference, is it worth it for the future and just straighten things out for me :)

thanks a lot :)

M.

I don't recall the geforce 6 series being out 2 years ago already but so be it. :p

I myself made the jump from a 6600GT to a 6800GT because I'm running on a TFT with a native resolution of 1280x1024. Since I can't go higher (1600x1200 & the likes) I have to use a lot of AA & AF & this is where the 6800GT is way ahead of the 6600GT. Even if you were to take a 6600GT with 256mb, the difference is quite noticeable so it's even more obvious with a 128mb 6600GT.

Now as far as price is concerned it's up to you. Should you get a good price selling your 6600GT, see if you can make ends meat easily & get the 6800GT. If you don't have much use for AA & AF, you won't notice much. Who can really tell the difference between 120 fps & 180 fps anyway ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back