Man requires skin graft after exploding iPhone 6 leaves him with third-degree burns

midian182

Staff member

Reports of exploding iPhones are fairly rare, but on those occasions when it does happen they can cause severe injuries - as a 36-year-old man in Australia just found out. Gareth Clear was burned so badly when his iPhone 6 ignited, he suffered third-degree burns that required skin grafts.

Clear, a management consultant from Sydney, was cycling through Manly Dam on Sunday afternoon when his foot slipped on the pedal, causing him to fall off his bike. Unfortunately, he managed to land on his iPhone, which was in his back pocket at the time.

Other than a few grazes, Clear didn’t suffer any injuries from the fall itself, but a few seconds after getting off the ground he noticed smoke coming out of his shorts. "I suddenly saw this incredible plume of smoke," he said. "And there was a searing pain that went along with it – as though someone had pushed a huge block of ice against my leg. It was pretty freaking painful."

The iPhone 6 melted through Clear’s thick cycling shorts before burning off three layers of skin on his upper right thigh. When he attempted to remove the shorts and the phone, which was now melting into his flesh, he burned his fingers, so he used his fist to punch the device off his leg. “It had to have been more than 100 degrees,” he added.

The iPhone continued to emit smoke when it hit the ground. Clear waited for it to cool before using two pieces of wood to pick it up and carry the blackened device back to town. His burns were so extreme that he had to go to the Royal North Shore burns unit for skin graft surgery. Clear will also be spending the next six days attached to a machine that sits inside the graft sucking out the dead, charred skin.

Clear said he has spoken to Apple about his injury and doesn’t blame the company for what happened, but he wants to make people aware that storing phones in pockets when engaged in physical activities can be dangerous.

"The more pervasive these are in our lives and the more people use them with a lack of apprehension that something might go wrong, the more that these things will happen," he said. "I want Apple to investigate, find out what was the cause and we need to educate people about this."

Apple said they are investigating the matter but gave no additional comment.

Permalink to story.

"Clear’s thick cycling shorts"
What kind of cycling shorts are thick? they're made from thin, lightweight lycra/spandex. The only thing relatively thick on cycling shorts is the chamois padding on the butt and between the legs. There are also no pockets in cycling shorts. He probably wasn't wearing proper cycling shorts. Nevertheless it must've been very uncomfortable for the poor sod to receive those burns. Methinks Apple are going to have to cough up, not that it will break the bank.

"Clear’s thick cycling shorts"
What kind of cycling shorts are thick? they're made from thin, lightweight lycra/spandex. The only thing relatively thick on cycling shorts is the chamois padding on the butt and between the legs. There are also no pockets in cycling shorts. He probably wasn't wearing proper cycling shorts. Nevertheless it must've been very uncomfortable for the poor sod to receive those burns. Methinks Apple are going to have to cough up, not that it will break the bank.
It is winter in Australia atm. Sydney would get pretty cool - slightly above freezing.

It is winter in Australia atm. Sydney would get pretty cool - slightly above freezing.
Here too. He was most likely wearing something like sweatpants. Long cycling pants don't have pockets in them either but cycling jerseys do. I know this because I'm a cyclist who wears proper cycling kit.

I would have sued the heck out of them, even when you don't fall at speed you can fall on the streets and land in your phone which apparently is a huge freaking risk you don't expect.

Here too. He was most likely wearing something like sweatpants. Long cycling pants don't have pockets in them either but cycling jerseys do. I know this because I'm a cyclist who wears proper cycling kit.
It's great you cycle, if the source said he was wearing thick cycling pants, that's what he was wearing what's in it for you to correct them? =P

Ouch! That does it I'm getting a handlebar mount for my phone... As a cyclist I never worry about things like this happening, I'm too busy worrying about getting hit by cars and getting pulled under european trucks that don't have the correct mirror placements for uk roads.

Good thing he didn't jump into a body of water! Would have likely made it worse.

A lot of us don't think about this type of thing... but it could probably happen with smart watches as well because I assume they use lithium ion batteries too.

Just yesterday I have seen this video and now I'm reading about it.. See for yourself (fast forward the video to 6:30min)

Last edited:
I would have sued the heck out of them, even when you don't fall at speed you can fall on the streets and land in your phone which apparently is a huge freaking risk you don't expect.

It's great you cycle, if the source said he was wearing thick cycling pants, that's what he was wearing what's in it for you to correct them? =P
Nothing. If they make thick cycling pants then I've never come across them. Maybe the Aussies do things differently.

Maybe thermal pants like these?...

Yeah, exactly!

8250548.jpg

I like this guy. He didn't go sue crazy. Probably because he's not an American. XD

I would hope that Apple would at the very least help pay medical expenses, as a good gesture and all.

PS: I'm American, I would have sued ! I would have asked others if they want to sue to, and rub the phone on them so they could.

Good to see some people having sense and taking responsibility of their actions. I do cycling and there are a lot of options to store phones. One is a cycling bag attached to the bike or a bike mount, or a pocket of your top or the best is I leave it under the car seat before going if you have friends biking with you and area is not isolated.

I like this guy. He didn't go sue crazy. Probably because he's not an American. XD

I would hope that Apple would at the very least help pay medical expenses, as a good gesture and all.

PS: I'm American, I would have sued ! I would have asked others if they want to sue to, and rub the phone on them so they could.
and that is why there are so many problems in this world you want to blame everyone but yourself so sue that will fix things up.A real man takes responsibility for his actions a weak man blames everybody else.

and that is why there are so many problems in this world you want to blame everyone but yourself so sue that will fix things up.A real man takes responsibility for his actions a weak man blames everybody else.

You don't think Apple is partly responsible?

Lithium batteries have been known to have the potential to do things like this for a long time yet smartphone manufacturers make them non-removable, and put them behind a piece of metal that is thinner than what you find on a soda can for the sake of quicker assembly, and cheaper manufacturing. They aren't equally at fault when something like this happens?

I wouldn't say being sue happy is why there are so many problems in this world, being sue happy is a consequence of the true problem in the world. I would say the lack of morals is why there are so many problems in this world, more specifically, turning from Christ, but that's my personal opinion.

Just yesterday I have seen this video anf niw I'm reading about it.. Ser for yourself (fast goreard yo 6:30min into the video)
All I can say is those guys need to leave the hand tools alone. They act as if that is the first time they have used them. They clearly need more experience before making those videos.

You don't think Apple is partly responsible?

Lithium batteries have been known to have the potential to do things like this for a long time yet smartphone manufacturers make them non-removable, and put them behind a piece of metal that is thinner than what you find on a soda can for the sake of quicker assembly, and cheaper manufacturing. They aren't equally at fault when something like this happens?

I wouldn't say being sue happy is why there are so many problems in this world, being sue happy is a consequence of the true problem in the world. I would say the lack of morals is why there are so many problems in this world, more specifically, turning from Christ, but that's my personal opinion.
why would they be responsible it's a phone not made to be jumped on hit or anything like that.I am not a fan of apple and don't use their phones (mine is a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro) awesome phone but it's the same with anything with batteries you have to be careful.When I am doing anything my phone is not in my pocket unless I am walking but never when anything where it can be damaged it's time man got some common sense back in his life and not look for excuses to blame others.

Yep I think everyone knows now that Li-ion batteries explode when punctured so taking them on a bike when you are riding high speed and at that sort of risk - user beware. The phone simply is not built to survive everything!

Back