TechSpot

Map network drive to cloud storage, no syncing, options?

By mbalcs
Jan 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

I am looking for a solution to the following business issue. Preferably a cloud based non-hardware, non-vpn solution.

I have data files used by some mortgage software in my office (24,000 files across about 800 meg). Currently I have just shared the folder and the individual PCs accessing the data just set their data location as \\joes-pc\datafiles\ or something like that (the data location is set in the mortgage software).

My main problem is that I am opening an offshore location and I need to have the remote users to also specify a networked location for the file storage. I have no vpn or other hardware other than wireless routers. Only a few requirements.....when one user has a file open if a second user tries to open the file (from the mortgage software) it tells the user the file is already open....there is no simultaneous sharing of a file and this needs to continue. I do not want to sync files from the cloud to local drives since I am guessing this would lead to all sorts of sharing issues. I basically need the files to act as if they are on my local network. I need the files centrally located, not distributed to users desktops.

Secondary issue would be ensuring backups happen somehow....right now I just copy the files to a external harddrive once a week, but I really should at least use dropbox for this or something so it is done automatically. Used carbonite in the past and it encrypted the files in such a way that they were unrecoverable.

Ideas???

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Some ideas:

1. Purchase a cloud server service.
    2. Look at Logmein Hamachi.
    3. For backups, use a batch file and set it to run on schedule via Task Scheduler.

Kang0808 likes this.
  3. Kang0808

Kang0808 TS Rookie

Hi mbalcs,
    As St1ckM4n said, maybe a cloud service provider is what you are looking for. there are a lot of cloud providers in the market, if you google it and you will and many. I'll recommand some internetional providers like Amazon web servers: http://aws.amazon.com. Of course, aws is relative expensive and you habe to sign contact for a certain period. Start-up companies like www.profitbricks.com/de/en offers much cheaper price. There are shortcomes and advantages for each provider. So you'd better ask some professional consultants about cloud service providers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.