TechSpot

Marvell announces dual-lane SATAe SSD controller ahead of Computex

By Shawn Knight
May 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. SATA Express is expected to be one of the major talking points of this year's Computex trade show. The standard was first announced in 2011 and ratified two years later but we're just now starting to see the technology show...

Read more

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. trparky

trparky TS Rookie Posts: 73   +11

Marvell SATA controllers haven't exactly had a great track record as of late for stability. Until they show they are are stable, both hardware chipsets and their drivers, I'll still to Intel SATA controllers.

Darth Shiv and Carlos Rahl like this.
  3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,184   +177

Yes they have a *really* bad track record in this space. A lot of people are still going to be feeling a bit raw about the issues the SATA 3 chipsets encountered and how bad the drivers were.

It's going to take substantial proof in terms of good scrutiny in reviews for me to have remote interest in any I/O controller they produce from here until they really build up a reputation.

Jamesbrah likes this.
  4. I agree, Marvell controllers are the garbage of storage systems, especially in a raid solution. You will get better overall performance out of a older generation Intel solution than you would any new Marvel solution.

Darth Shiv likes this.
  5. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Rookie Posts: 38

YES. I am still bitter. Never trust marvel anything crew checking in.

6. I am running a RAID 0 on my Marvell controller and its been working fairly well. Better test speeds than I expected at least.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.