Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is available for free from the Epic Games Store

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Looking to grab one of the most underappreciated games in years for nothing at all? Then head over to the Epic Games Store, where the current freebie is Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, a hugely enjoyable space opera that lives up to the franchise's movies and comics.

Following the giveaway of A Plague Tale: Innocence, Epic's last free Holiday Sale mystery game has been revealed. From now until January 11, you can download and keep Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy gratis.

GOTG is mostly a third-person shooter with players taking on the role of Star-Lord himself, Peter Quill, but they can also issue commands to other members of the galaxy-saving gang, who have unique abilities that can be chained. It reminded this writer of Final Fantasy XV and the Final Fantasy VII Remake at the time. There are also plenty of story elements to enjoy.

One of the combat highlights is the huddle, in which you must pick the correct dialog options for a burst of improved damage; few things are as satisfying as getting it right and hearing the opening bars of 'The Final Countdown' (or another 80s classic) as the team pounds the enemy.

While it is linear, GOTG is emotional, nostalgic, and enormous fun, as reflected by its Very Positive Steam rating and Metascore of 80 (8.6 user score). The game features upscaling tech such as FSR1 and DLSS 2, and it runs well on lower-end hardware, with a GTX 1660 Super / Radeon RX 590 recommended and a GTX 1060 / Radeon 570 as the minimum GPUs.

Now read: The Best PC Games (You Should Be Playing)

Despite the positive reviews, Square Enix later said that sales of the Guardians of the Galaxy game "undershot initial expectations," which may have been due to it arriving so soon after the very disappointing and now delisted Marvel's Avengers.

The Epic Games Store's holiday sale continues until January 10, with discounts on the likes of Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk 2077 expansion Phantom Liberty, Assassin's Creed Mirage, and many more titles. Shoppers also get a coupon for 33% off every time they spend $14.99 or more.

Permalink to story.

Yes I get all the free games, even I own them on steam or wont play at all, just to mess with them
But must say this game is very fun one time journey

The character models look so bad. Disney (or was it Eidos didn't want to pay Disney?) didn't want to pay the actors for their likeness when they greenlit this game?

Peter Quill looks like a bad, younger Stephen Baldwin.
Rocket looks like he mated with Mr. Miyagi.
Drax looks like he's been crossed with the Red Skull.
Gamora looks manly.
Groot looks like his face was smashed in and his body was mass was bulked up too much.

From all the movies you've seen with these characters, it's hard to look at the game versions and think, "Awesome! It's the Guardians of the Galaxy!". I just can't stand to look at these awful looking character models and want to play the game as them.

The character models look so bad. Disney (or was it Eidos didn't want to pay Disney?) didn't want to pay the actors for their likeness when they greenlit this game?

Gamora looks manly.
Groot looks like his face was smashed in and his body was mass was bulked up too much.

From all the movies you've seen with these characters, it's hard to look at the game versions and think, "Awesome! It's the Guardians of the Galaxy!". I just can't stand to look at these awful looking character models and want to play the game as them.
youre missing out then, its one of the best looking and most fun games carrying a marvel label.

Gamora looks manly.

Same. One of the draws about licensed games is that the actors lend their voice and/or likeness.
It was the same with The Avengers. They changed their in game faces just enough to look uncanny.
Obviously the voices were also different enough. Plus it was a bad game.

Meanwhile Battlefront II had (at least some) actors from the movies doing voices and had their exact likeness in games.
Even several versions of the same character - like for example young and older Han Solo.

Nah, free or not I'm just done with this multiple storefront malarkey. I've consolidated my library to where I have the most games and I feel is the best platform, Steam.

If it's not there I'll just pass on a game now.

What I noticed is how people who comment about these articles, mostly try to get other people "heartbroken".
Really? Who cares that a multibillion dollar corporation is giving away as marketing campaign some goodies?
These people think "big brother" will read their comments and then the billion dollar company would stop giving away worthy stuff... /facepalm

Epic games does not have some titles that are more successful with the masses, and some other features, but they have the best engine out there and the most updated and varied FPS.

Also, games are more expensive on epic games sometimes... so they get back what they gave away, but give some with those coupons.

Another tactic of theirs might not even be the games, but to get people talk about epic games, and if those people talk about games, they would eventually recommend the store to buy from.

Last edited:
LOL at the negatively on this community. I for one have gladly added this one to the nearly 100 freebies I've scored from Epic over the years. I
The kids played this on PS5 and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Thanks to techspot for highlighting.

I tried to play the game on Game Pass but I ran into a bug. I hope I can get further this time.

Back