Max resolution

By PHATMAN5050
Apr 29, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The resolution on my computer right now is 1280 by 1024 pixels and i'd like to take it up to 1600 by 1200 or even 1792 by 1344 but when i set it to those, u cant see the whole thing on the monitor, meaning that u have to sort of scroll ur screen by moving the mouse, like anyone who ever played Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Any ideas? Does my monitor not support anything larger do u think?
  2. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 645

Btw, my monitor says 1600 x 1200 max resolution so how come it wont go to 1600 x 1200?
  3. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

Are you using a standard windows monitor driver, like Plug & Play Monitor, or Standard VGA Monitor? I think these are limited to certain resolutions.
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

ATI cards have this "virtual desktop" thing but usually it can be disabled.
    Sometimes, however, Window$ doesn't detect monitor's resolutions correctly, so you should change the monitor driver or use some kind of utility like Powerstrip.
  5. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,508   +81

I have a Samsung monitor (same brand as Phats I believe).
    Runs 1600x1200 without a hitch in 98SE.
    See if you can get a driver from Samsung for your monitor (if you don't have one already) and check out the virtual desktop suggestion by Mict ;)

Also you have multiple OS's running on your PC don't you?
    Which one are you having the problem in? All of them? Or just one...
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

If you're having problems with Win9x/ME, I recommend trying HzTool.
  7. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 645

Alright guys, i got it working thankfully...

I had to go to Display properties>Settings>Advanced>Displays>Monitor>Uncheck 'Use DDC Information' and then enter in the information i wanted. Seems like a lot just to change the display huh, lol. Anyways, thanks for all the info, and thanks for the program mictlantecuhtli but unfortunately it doesnt work in WinNT even though i have WinXP Pro but o well. Thanks guys!
  8. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I don't even remember seeing that setting before, is it in all windows versions ?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.