Maximus VIII Hero won't power up

Just bought a Maximus VIII Hero with Core i5 6600K. The motherboard doesn't boot. Sometimes the on-board Start and Reset buttons are lit, otherwise they don't. When they do, if I plug in any USB peripheral in the USB Bios Flashback port, the Start and Reset buttons start to blink. Tried pressing the Bios flash button for 3-10 seconds, nothing happens. There is no Q-Code on the digital display no matter what. There is no on-board LED lit up no matter what. The CPU fan doesn't start. The ROG logo doesn't light up.

I tried everything I found on the web, nothing worked. What I have tried includes:
- CMOS battery plugged out for few mins and then put back in
- Used a screwdriver to short the CMOS battery connectors
- Switched the CMOS reset jumper and powered on
- Checked CPU socket pins, they are not bent or anything
- Took out the board out of the case (breadboarding)
- Only CPU, Cooler, 8-pin CPU power and 20+4 power and CPU fan connected
- Took out the CPU and tried booting the board only
- Tried with 1 DIMM in proper slot
- Tried without DIMMs - no beeps
- Tried USB Bios flash (with BIOS update appropriately named)
- Tried on-board buttons for Start, Reset, Bios reset, MemOK

With the mobo and CPU included, my build is:
Skylake Build

Before, and currently, because the new board isn't working, my build is:
Old Core 2 Quad Build

I know the PSU isn't great, and should have been replaced for the upgrade. But it has no problems whatsoever with Q6600 and a GTX970 installed, even when I let it run thru the night or when I play games. Right now, I'm writing this post with the same PSU running my old build. One thing to note though, my old board requires only 4-pin CPU power. I'm thinking it might be a PSU issue (maybe the other 4-pins aren't working).

So my question is:
1. Is there something else I can try before returning the mobo
2. Is there any part in my build that requires attention, other than mobo problem

Points to consider (if it comes to buying/replacing parts)
I live outside the US
After spending this much on Hero and 6600K I'm really tight on budget

Specs:
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card
Cooler Master Elite Power 460W ATX Power Supply

I cannot figure out what Asus is saying about the past and current BIOS versions. Perhaps consulting them directly might clarify how there could be two different BIOS versions both on Jan 19, 2016. Does seem to make any sense.

I cannot figure out what Asus is saying about the past and current BIOS versions. Perhaps consulting them directly might clarify how there could be two different BIOS versions both on Jan 19, 2016. Does seem to make any sense.
Could you share a link what are you referring to? I see only one BIOS update on Jan 19, 2016.

So is my problem related to BIOS version?

It could be, if the BIOS on the motherboard does not recognize your CPU then it just seems 'dead'. Looking at CPU list on https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/ , I see two BIOS versions 802 and 401, but when I look at specifics, they are both dated the same. I find it confusing.

The support for 6600K started with 0402 update and that is dated 2015/08/07. If the CPU isn't supported, shouldn't the board display a code on the digital display (Q-code)?

Anyhow, it wouldn't let me update the BIOS as well, even without the CPU installed (You only need a USB connected to appropriate port and power to the board without even a CPU and it can update the BIOS)

Friend, I think you have a bad motherboard. Take a look at the negative ratings on NewEgg (46% less than 'good'). Many reported problems including Asus being apparently unable to keep up with the RMAs (probably due to revisions being made - shipping bad product to replace bad just does not work and Asus knows that). Amazon has a slightly better story (22% less than 'good'). I have bought at least a dozen Asus products and have always been pleased with quality, so this may be an anomaly.

I checked last weeks reviews at NewEgg and found 6 were 'good' or 'great' and 11 were not, so it may be that some issues are surfacing now.

In your boots, I would initiate request to Asus support, work with them to see if this is 'correctable' with the expectation of an RMA and a replacement motherboard. This may be a prolonged process as Asus may be facing a version update to clear issues. So, I would also buy a $50-$60 replacement for right now (MSI has a good looking miniATX in that cost range) - just confirm the BIOS will handle your parts.

Last edited:
Appreciate the help. I'm looking into buying a better PSU and check the board with it before I go for RMA. I know it will take time to get a replacement. I myself bought several Asus products and never had a problem. For this upgrade, I waited for months and saved, and then it came to this. I hope a PSU can fix the problem. But thanks for your help.

Can you please look at the list below and tell me which ones are good PSU units, and which ones to stay away from? Would much appreciate it. Please ignore the extra wattage, I would go for a better unit even if it costs more.

1. Antec TPQ-850
2. Cooler Master V700
3. Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W
4. Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W
5. Cooler Master Extreme 2 - 725W
6. Antec TruePower TP-550
7. Antec EarthWatts EA650
8. Antec NeoPower 650 Blue
9. Antec NeoPower 550
10. Corsair VS 550, 650
11. Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M
12. FirePower Fatal1ty 550W

and some Zalman (didn't find much info about these in the PSU tier lists):
13. ZM600-GV, ZM700-GV
14. ZM750-HP PLUS
15. ZM600-HP, ZM850-HP

I've had Antec Earthwatts for several years. Strong +12v, excellent regulation (+/- 1% or so - very much better than my standard required of +/-3%), good connectors, nearly silent fan. I have had other supplies from manufacturers on your list - all good.

Back