Maxtor 3200 External now Internal still having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure many of you have seen posts about the Maxtor 3200 and have heard horror stories. I only have one question.

I took my Maxtor 3200 apart and installed it directly into my tower because of the problem with the power supply. Now for some reason it's asking me if I want to format the drive. I definitely don't want to do that and I was wondering if there was any way to recover the data on the drive?

I know that Seagate has told me directly that they will be glad to get my data for me for a hefty fee, but I don't want to pay that either. Is there any other way of doing this or am I pretty much up the creek on this one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David

See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]. Skip to the end to try the Data Recovery tools it mentions. You might also try Recuva (just google it)

/* edit */
use the tools even tho the drive is internal. they all still apply

I have to say I was a bit skeptical to use a freeware program but thankfully it worked. I really appreciate it.

I will admit that I'm a bit of a newbie as far as external hard drives go. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I have a crappy computer. It seems that my system is running at about half its normal speed. Is that a result of installing the new hard drive?

I'm planning on buying a new computer soon, but in the meantime I'd like to just transfer a large amount of data to the Maxtor but first I wanted to ask the professionals. Is that a good idea given the problems I've had with it?

Thanks again for any help.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back