TechSpot

Maxtor hard drive noisy

By martinlw
Sep 24, 2009
  1. Hi,My Maxtor 160GB sata hardrive three months old has become noticeably noisy i checked to see if it was the CPU fan by disconnecting the hardrive and it disappeared.When the red light flickers the noise coincides with the light,the noise is like a squeaky sound,is this normal.Regards Martin.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,918   +345

No, I would say it's not normal. But you knew that already or you wouldn't be here. I would backup any important data and replace the drive. If it's only three months old, it should still be under warranty.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Look at the date code on the label of the Maxtor. Some retailers are selling "refurbished" maxtor 160GB drives that have a date code from May and July of 2007. They are used, and sold at a low price, but noisy and worn out. The noise is typical of these "used" Maxtors. If that date code isn't current with the date you purchased it, you may have a refurbished, old, and worn out Maxtor. We have seen a lot of them in the past 60 days.
    Please report back, as I would be curious enough to do more follow-up with Maxtor... I don't think Seagate or Seagate Maxtor would like this to be happening any more than a user with a noisy drive.
    Some actually have the name of the person, and refurbishing center, but they are still used and noisy.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.