Media Probs after MB swapout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently swapped out my old P4 board for a new AMD K8N board and am having real problems. My repair of XP did not work so I had to re-install it. I have a partitioned HDD(40Gb) with 4 Partititions.

I have since formatted and re-installed Windows 3 times but still can't get it stabilised. System BIOS picks up all my IDE equipment but XP sees my DVD drive as a CD ROM drive and won't run any discs. When I try to burn any info onto my CDRW drive the system only sees a blank CD-ROM not a blank CD-R or CD-RW. My Floppy Drive is recognised but keeps telling me to insert a Floppy Disk even when one is in there!

Also whenever I connect to the Net before I get a chance to download my Firewall software I get battered by spyware, Trojans and hackers and have to reformat again. Last time I got done by Hacktool.Rootkit!

What do I need to do to run a stable system again?

K8N Motherboard
1Gb 3200 PC DDR RAM
Athlon 64 3400+
Geforce 6800 GT VideoCard
Maxtor 40GB HDD
Windows XP

Furthermore after I have installed all my drivers, when I re-boot Windows it hangs on the screen before you get the Windows log-on screen, any ideas?
Thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Beegrod :)

Why do you have 4 partitions? I am just curious. Disconnect the dvd/cdrw. Get the Mobo working first. Try upgrading the Bios.

I have 4 partitions on the drive: 1 for the OS(10GB), 1 for my wife's docs(5GB), 1 for mine(5GB) and 1 for gaming(20GB). I downloaded the systemboard drivers for the mobo and still can't use my DVD Rom. Shall I try a new cable? The funny thing is it works fine in DOS for loading the OS.

Any ideas why Windows starts to hang?

Thanks
Beegrod

I have solved the DVD ROM problem, it was a faulty cable.

Are there any known issues with the systemboard drivers for thew K8N-E Deluxe board and my system spec?

The boot sequence is fine until it gets to the Windows Logo screen. This is usually where the system hangs and I have to re-boot, I usually can't get as far as logging onto Windows.

About once every 10 times it works but I usually have to boot into Safe mode and that dopesn't always work either. I think I might buy another HDD cable and an FDD cable.

I'm getting really fed up with this, since I got the board and pro last Wednesday I have re-installed XP seven times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back