TechSpot

Media Probs after MB swapout

By beegrod
Jun 12, 2005
  1. I recently swapped out my old P4 board for a new AMD K8N board and am having real problems. My repair of XP did not work so I had to re-install it. I have a partitioned HDD(40Gb) with 4 Partititions.

I have since formatted and re-installed Windows 3 times but still can't get it stabilised. System BIOS picks up all my IDE equipment but XP sees my DVD drive as a CD ROM drive and won't run any discs. When I try to burn any info onto my CDRW drive the system only sees a blank CD-ROM not a blank CD-R or CD-RW. My Floppy Drive is recognised but keeps telling me to insert a Floppy Disk even when one is in there!

Also whenever I connect to the Net before I get a chance to download my Firewall software I get battered by spyware, Trojans and hackers and have to reformat again. Last time I got done by Hacktool.Rootkit!

What do I need to do to run a stable system again?

K8N Motherboard
    1Gb 3200 PC DDR RAM
    Athlon 64 3400+
    Geforce 6800 GT VideoCard
    Maxtor 40GB HDD
    Windows XP

Furthermore after I have installed all my drivers, when I re-boot Windows it hangs on the screen before you get the Windows log-on screen, any ideas?
    Thanks for any help,
    Cheers,
    Beegrod :)

2. GoAvalanche

GoAvalanche TS Rookie Posts: 42

Why do you have 4 partitions? I am just curious. Disconnect the dvd/cdrw. Get the Mobo working first. Try upgrading the Bios.

3. beegrod

beegrod TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have 4 partitions on the drive: 1 for the OS(10GB), 1 for my wife's docs(5GB), 1 for mine(5GB) and 1 for gaming(20GB). I downloaded the systemboard drivers for the mobo and still can't use my DVD Rom. Shall I try a new cable? The funny thing is it works fine in DOS for loading the OS.

Any ideas why Windows starts to hang?

Thanks
    Beegrod

4. beegrod

I have solved the DVD ROM problem, it was a faulty cable.

Are there any known issues with the systemboard drivers for thew K8N-E Deluxe board and my system spec?

5. GoAvalanche

GoAvalanche TS Rookie Posts: 42

Is the boot sequence ok? The floppy cable might be bad too.

6. beegrod

The boot sequence is fine until it gets to the Windows Logo screen. This is usually where the system hangs and I have to re-boot, I usually can't get as far as logging onto Windows.

About once every 10 times it works but I usually have to boot into Safe mode and that dopesn't always work either. I think I might buy another HDD cable and an FDD cable.

I'm getting really fed up with this, since I got the board and pro last Wednesday I have re-installed XP seven times.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.