MEDION MD 8820 pc motherboard problems. Death due to upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOAD

I bought a MEDION MD 8820 in feb 2007, it came with:

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 915
(2.8GHz, 2 x 2MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB)

Vista™ Home Premium (OEM Version)
32Bit version preinstalled.

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7300SE with 128 MB memory with DVI-I, D-Sub VGA and TV-out.

1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM with 533 MHz 64 Bit

250 GB SATA hard drive 8 MB Cache

TV-tuner for analogue / digital TV (DVB-T)

Multi-Standard DVD/CD writer

8-in-1 Multi Flash Memory Card Reader

i know it has a 250w psu

I then put in an extra gig of memory (kingston) and an nvidia 7660 graphics card (i know its not that much of a jump up but my friend had a spare one he gave me for free) it all worked perfectly for a day, then it died and wont turn on again.

I got it repaired under warranty and it was returned to day, and it turns out the motherboard needed replacing, so my question is would me putting in those components have caused the death of the motherboard, as i am wondering whether to put them in again or if it was just a faulty mobo.

after doing a bit of research, it seems the mobos are faulty on this model (hmm buying from aldi lol) so is the death of the mobo due to my upgrading of the system?

Thanks for your time

It was most likely the pathetic 250 watt psu. I runn a 2ghz pc and use a 450 and i wouldnt run it off anything lower.

but would a pathetic psu kill a mobo or wouldnt it just refuse to power up?? (newb here)

It all depends on it's quality or lack of. It could possibly have caused voltage spikes that the mobo couldn't cope with. It's a bit of a long shot but it is possible.

If you are planning on putting your upgrades back in then i suggest you get a decent quality psu to go with it all. You could keep hold of the old one just in-case it ever has to go back under warranty again.

ah right cheers.

As there seem to many posts on internet forums about this series of pcs having problems with the motherboard, im inclined to beleive it was that rather than the new components in that actually killed the mobo. Hopefully the one they replaced it with is better seeing as it is 6 months later.

I'm pretty sure that your ram memory module(s) do not have the ability to cause motherboard damage. Replacing your PSU is/was necessary to stabilize your machine. There is a program out there called "memtest". They have a freeware version. It is used to run ram memory testing.

well the repair people have replaced the motherboard and the psu test came back ok, so i think its mobo problem

and I think u are silly if u do not follow the advise to replace that PSU, bad PSU's cause lots of problems and Dell is known for putting bad PSU's in computers.

oh no i did replace it anyway, my friend had a 350w going free as hes upgraded to 800w so i just stuck it in last night. i was just saying i suspected the mobo was to blame due to numerous articles about this model, but have heeded warnings anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back