Meet DRU, the world's first autonomous pizza delivery vehicle from Domino's

midian182

Staff member

Domino’s Pizza has unveiled the world’s first “autonomous pizza delivery vehicle.” The four-wheeled robot, known as DRU (Domino’s Robotic Unit), was developed in collaboration with Australian technology startup Marathon Targets, which specializes in creating moving robotic targets used in military live-fire exercises.

DRU uses a Lidar system, the same technology found in self-driving cars, to navigate fences and avoid obstacles. It also comes with a built-in GPS tracking system that syncs with Google maps, allowing the robot to travel to an address.

The $23,000, three-foot machine can complete deliveries within a 12-mile radius on a single charge. It’s able to carry ten pizzas at a time, which are protected from the elements in custom-built, watertight and weatherproof heated compartments.

As a safety feature, customers have to input a security code, provided by Domino’s, to open DRU’s hatch and take their orders. Each DRU unit will also come with a number of IP cameras, in case someone decides they want to steal or vandalize the robot.

Domino's CEO and Managing Director Don Meij said that DRU has already completed several deliveries in restricted streets in Brisbane, approved under special permit by the Queensland Department of Transport. Domino’s says it’s working with “global partners” to ensure the robot meets safety requirements for testing in other areas.

Meij insists that DRU isn’t a way of replacing traditional human drivers, but will simply offer another option; there’ll always be certain deliveries that DRU will be unable to complete. “I think drivers are going to be around for a long time,” Meij said.

It’ll be quite some time before DRU robots become a common site in Australia, and even longer before they reach everywhere else, but with more companies, such as Amazon and Walmart, turning to autonomous vehicles for deliveries, will we eventually have to start tipping machines?

Permalink to story.

So what happens when some kids decide to tip this thing onto it's side? That's my first instinct when faced with the presences of an autonomous vehicle, disable it, but don't damage it.

Then DRU would have to take on a more ominous spider like form able to right itself autonomously...but then who would want to take a pizza from a robot spider...Come closer for my delicious pizza treat said the DRU spider to the human food fly...

It's a concept, advertising, forward thinking but not so practical for $19.99 pizza and 2 liter...hey, but where does the 2 liter go? No hot soda for me...

You know, after attending so many baseball, football, and basketball games, this darn thing looks want too much like some kind of mega-pizza canon ..... so, if you cancel the delivery because it's late, will it blast the thing through your front window? Just asking .......

It's going to have to have self-defence measures/countermeasures or no pizza's will make it
maybe they will be escalating, smoke, tear gas, rubber bullets, 20 mm cannon. Might be hard getting your pizza so nicely like the couple in the photo through the tear gas haze

Looks like an easy target for thieves. I wonder how many units will get 'lost' while out delivering.

Vandals will have a field day...

Unless... if it's equipped with machine guns and rocket launchers...

Hmm free pizza, cant wait till it ends up at someones house and it opens the top hatch to find 1. a empty box or 2. empty hatch. It will be funny as to booby trap the inside of the tray with a paintball gun and watch as it opens fire on unsuspecting victims wanting pizza.

GPS tracking, security pin and cameras will answer most of your comments. But if someone wanted to put on a mask and randomly push it over. I guess that would be akin to keying a car.

Most likely it will have that uv dye to spray vandals, the same dye used against bank robbers. Uv dye found in a 20$ can of pepper spray marks the target, making them glow under uv light so police can identify the perpetrator. Maybe in the future they will have drones to watch over the delivery robots and follow any vandals.

A complete waste of money. A system like this is flawed beyond belief. As already started all it takes is to be pushed over or wear a mask and load it onto the back of your truck and that's it gone.

Back