memory not compatible

By jebinj
Sep 11, 2006
  1. hi there
    i think i am having a weird problem.i have two system one p4 2ghz
    ,512 mb ddr ram and athlon xp2000+ with motherboard a7v8x-mx and 256 mb ram.p4 motherboard is asus p4b533-vm.the problem is i tried to use the ddr ram from p4 system to athlon but it does not boot making a sound meaning ram not recognised.well the both motherboard support ddr sdram of same specifications.only difference i found out was the ram in p4 system is double sided while one in athlon is not.i tried the other way round and the single sided memory of athlon is compatable with my p4 system.what could be the problem?please help here since i am going to buy a new motherboard for the p4 for i am having trouble with the asus p4b533-vm.i am afraid if my memory will be not compatible with the new board.the board i am going to buy is MSI MS6585.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

What sort of ram is it that you are talking about???

Go to and use their database to see what ram all the different mobo's you are on about will take.
  3. jebinj

jebinj TS Rookie Topic Starter

Your Crucial System Scanner Results
    Scan ID# 11B74BB731D926C3
    Computer Manufacturer
    Computer Model
    CPU Manufacturer
    CPU Family
    CPU Speed-2001hz
    Front-Side Bus Speed-100 MHz

7 MHP4B533-VM
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz

Currently Installed Memory-512 MB
    Maximum Memory Capacity-2048MB
    Total Number Of Memory Slots-2
    Available Memory Slots -0

Slot 1
    256 MB
    Non-parity DDR PC2100
    Slot 2
    256 MB
    Non-parity DDR PC2100
  4. jebinj

jebinj TS Rookie Topic Starter

the ram i had already mentioned is ddr sdram there any difference between single sided and double sided ddr sdrams?
  5. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

It may sound redundant, but thats exactly the difference.

Mind you some motherboards are that picky that you'll need exaclty the same or a specific one/pair (and if your planning to run more than 1 stick of ram, all matching)

Although that rule of having matching brand, size, type etc, is just so to find the highest chances of compatibility but won't apply to all pcs.
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.