Menus Freeze, Windows Problems, Not Virus Or Adware/spyware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.... I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to computers or fixing problems, but I've come across one that I can't seem to figure out:

I'm running Windows XP Media Center on an HP Pavilion laptop. Basically, upon startup, the start menu, quicklaunch, and taskbar all freeze, and I can't use them... I can access the start menu using keyboard shortcuts, but only momentarily before it disappears. I am able to click things on the desktop, but once I open a program or window, whatever I have open de-selects itself, and I have use Alt+Tab to get it back.

This seems to be the most telling problem: whenever I open a window (IE, Firefox, or even a Windows window (my documents, etc.)), after a few seconds it automatically goes back to whatever previous screen I had open.... as if I hit the "Back" buton". So it let's me get nothing done.

All this still happens when in Safe Mode.

I've updated and run all sorts of programs, which makes me believe this might not be adware, spyware, malware or necessarily a virus or trojan.

I've run Norton Antivirus, Sybot, Adaware Pro, CWShredder, Windows Defender, AVG Spyware and AntiVirus, online Bitdefender. They've found a few minor problems (a little spyware and a minor virus or trojan), and fixed/deleted them, to the point where now when i run them they find no viruses or anything, but still the problems persist. I have all the recent Windows Updates, so I'm lost.

(Note: I know running the different antivirus programs can cause conflicts, so I haven't been running all these at the same time.)

Can anybody help?

Do start, run sfc /scannow, but make sure you have your windows cd to hand for it.

Let me know if that helps or not.

thanks rik, I was considering doing that, but I don't have an installation disc (it didn't come with one), and I also wasn't sure if I should do that in safe mode.

Any suggestions?

I asked about that when purchasing the laptop (from best buy, not some third-party store or anything like that), and they explained to me at the time how to operate without it. I can get in touch with them if need be.

Should I run sfc/scannow in Safe mode, or in normal mode?

It should be run in normal mode but without a cd, it wont work.

Just incase you have any malware left on your system, i would like you to do an hjt log as per these instructions Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. I need you to follow the instructions in steps 4 and 5 precisely which includes renaming hjt then post it as an ATTACHMENT in this thread.

I see you have viewpoint manager, is it the free or the paid for version?

Also, you have Norton antivirus, which frankly, isn't any good and is a resource hog. Removing that and replacing it with avast or avg may help.

i have whatever Viewpoint came with the system (it's Windows Media Center, so I have no idea what they would have given me). I never use it and have no problem deleting it if it will solve the problem.

Also, I understand the distaste with Norton and have considered getting rid of it myself. Although I've had Norton for years now and am fairly sure it's not the cause of the problem.

Would changing either of those solve the problem?

It's a possibility, altho not a big one. It cant hurt to try.

Viewpoint should go via add/remove programs.

For norton, here are some instructions that may help.

Download either the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm or Kerio firewall programmes from within this link - https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Then, disconnect from the net and completely uninstall Symantec/Norton. If you have any problems in uninstalling the programme, take a look at this thread - https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic57112.html

Once you`ve completely uninstalled Symantec/Norton, reboot your system and install whichever firewall programme you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the antivirus updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back