Merriam-Webster adds 150 new words including tweep, selfie, Yooper and crowdfunding

By Justin Kahn
May 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. More of the made up words birthed from the internet age like crowdfunding and phablet are being officially added into the dictionary. We last reported when Oxford added terms like derp, twerk and selfie, and now Merriam-Webster is following suit...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Poutine is new to the list? What, did someone finally visit Canada and walk into a restaurant?! For those who haven't been in a greasy spoon in the great-white-north, a Poutine is french fries covered in gravy and cheese, and it isn't new. I'm actually shocked we don't have them in Wisconsin. We're usually first in line for something fried and covered in cheese.
    CanadEan84 likes this.
  3. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Gravy and fries is great. Gravy, cheese, and fries just sound like diarrhea waiting to happen.
  4. CanadEan84

CanadEan84 TS Rookie

No doubt eh?! Poutine has been around for as long as I can remember. Anyone who hasn't tried it should take the plunge with the exception of someone with allergies to this greatness.

Spoken as a Canadian.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Maybe it's because your dictionary hasn't got the words "cholesterol" or "heart attack" in it but don't worry about it though because mine doesn't have them either. :)
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Lol, Cheese... it puts the poo in poutine. I'll have to mention that to my Canadian friends.

Oh, those words are in there... right next to 'denial.'
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

You could be right. Who needs an alphabetical dictionary anyway when there's Google?
    cmbjive likes this.
  8. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 853   +352

Proving once again that the HUMAN race reached its peak, and now is devolving back to the primitive stage.
    lmike6453 likes this.
  9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I didnt expect Dubstep to make it XD.
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

Since when? Cheese is a very "binding" food. Try a downing half pound of sharp cheese along with a half bottle of Percocets (*). You'll practically forget about pooping for at least a week. And after that, it's kind of debatable if you'll even remember how.....

(*) Not all at once, though. Hay mucho peligro ahi
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  11. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

What a nice* comment. Language evolves, get over it.

*go look up the etymology of "nice".
  12. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 933   +240

I know someone who's lactose intolerant. For that person, eating any dairy product would most likely result in at least a week on the pot.
    cmbjive likes this.
  13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

Lactose intolerance is a terrible tragedy. In cats, folk wisdom claims that cats like a saucer full of milk from time to time. However, if they are not given milk throughout their lives, they become lactose intolerant. I have two cats, one still drinks a bit of milk quite successfully pushing 12 years of age, the other, (about the same age), avoids it like the plague.

Me, I like to slug down about a pint of whole milk with my cookies, cake, or pie at bedtime. That, along with a couple of benadryl tablets, and I sleep like a baby, so do my bowels.

People of Asian origin are, by and large, lactose intolerant. That really doesn't seem to have held them back very much, as attested to by the existence of something like 3 billion Chinese. I'd suggest pumping their water supply full of lactose, which would precipitate, (pun intended), them spending less time in the bedroom, and more time on the can.

BTW, while it's true I did above indeed, recite some politically correct dogma, about lactose intolerance being a tragedy. The truth is, I could care less about anyone who is. All it means is more milk, ice cream, and pizza for me....:cool:

Cheese contains NO fiber, and is heavily laden with protein and fats. Accordingly , it has a slow gut transit time, with a heavy residue make up. Accordingly, in people who aren't lactose intolerant, it is a very binding food.

This is why our astronauts, (I believe), were given high protein, low residue means before heading off into space.

And pretty please, spare me a lecture me about cholesterol.

The trouble with the people of your generation is this; you think that self driving cars and better video game graphics is "evolution". Trust me, it's not.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014