Message on black screen when laptop loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddieh3

For Realtek rtl8139(x) /8130/810x
PCI fast Ethernet Controller V2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure. Check Cable.
PXE M0F: Exiting PXE Rom
Operating system not found.

It's an Acer Travelmate 2410.

Any help appreciated.

Ed

Nope. I have had this message before. But this time it came up 2 days after a complete system restore.

Please note what info you gave us:

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure. Check Cable.
PXE M0F: Exiting PXE Rom
Operating system not found.

If you do a search on PXE-E61: Media Test Failure. Check Cable. you would be suprised how much is on the net concerning this error. It is a very strong indicator that your harddrive is failing or is about to fail OR there are other possibilities. Did you drop this at all? It could be a disconnect happened.

Check out this link: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000706.htm Then click on their link to document CH000229

*** If there is any way you can access your harddrive do so ASAP and back up everything that is important. Are you still under warrenty?

the above is correct; the PXE stuff says the system can not find BOOTABLE media (ie the HD is not bootable) and therefore is attempting to boot via your network connection and has failed (which is 99.9% normal).

the above is correct; the PXE stuff says the system can not find BOOTABLE media (ie the HD is not bootable) and therefore is attempting to boot via your network connection and has failed (which is 99.9% normal).

Hey jobeard, glad you are here. What steps would you recommend?

get any bootable CD and once running, attempt to inspect the partition,
MBR, and the common boot files

Thanks guys. It's a pretty old laptop, which has given me trouble in the past, and which I now plan to use just for general web use, for as long as it holds out. I no longer keep anything of value on it at all.

I googled the problem and found that actually hitting the laptop can help solve this problem. It has actually worked, but I suspect that there may be a long term connection problem, which I will inspect asap.

Joebeard, given that I reinstalled windows just a couple of days ago, is it still possible that the problem could be in the partition, MBR, or the common boot files?

Thanks again.

jobeard knows much more than me but the fact that you can hit the laptop and its good to go is probably more of a hardware issue such as connection or the harddrive rather than anything to do with drivers, files, etc.

*** Keep us up-to-date. Would love to know what you eventually find.

that could easily be true, especially with SATA drives.

The symptom indites the HD or the files necessary to perform booting.
Suggest extracting the drive and attaching it via an enclosure to see if the device is readable at all. You to then

• verify it has a bootable partition
  • and the requisite BOOT files
  • and at least off-load the critical files on it

Thanks again for the help.
I have the means to inspect the hdd on another computer,
What should I be looking for in the way of Boot files? Which specific set of files are accociated with booting?

the partition must be marked Bootable and be 'healthy'
use the Disk Mgr and note:
two panels on the right; the upper has one row and shows the Volume Label
in the lower you see that label again and to the left is a graphic
Disk n, basic xxxgb online​
right-click on the Disk n and then click Volumes
>>Partition Style should have (MBR)[*]

in the Root (ie assuming drive letter X) of the disk X:\
you need these files
ntdetect.com
boot.ini
ntldr
cmldr

in \Windows\system32\ you need to find
ntoskrnl.exe​
the mbr [*]

If all of that is present, the only issue left (I think) would be to refresh the MBR

It's been a week now since I hit my laptop, and I haven't had any more problems. I searched for those files using the search function Jobeard, and they all seemed to be present. I've taken to keeping the laptop on a desk at all times, rather than moving it about, to avoid giving it any unnecessary jolts, and it seems to be ok for now.
Thanks again for the help guys.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back