Messaging Users on a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHATMAN5050

Does anyone know how to message a computer on a network? I was told that it was a Start>Run command and then you put in the computer name and it shows up as a pop-up. Anyone heard of how to do this?

I sense something.... I presence I've not felt since...

Yes.

Net send computername "This is my message"

Where computername is the name of the machine, and "This is my message" is your message, encapsulated in double quotes.

Net contains a whole section of commands to do certain things, such as list shares, message workstations, etc.

try:

net send /?

at the command prompt to see more of net send, and

net /?

to see the list of net commands. Then

net command /?

where command is the subcommand will tell you all about what you can do. There is plenty.

The program you are refering to is winpopup. Dunno if it is in a win2k or XP version.

Originally posted by ToRN
The program you are refering to is winpopup. Dunno if it is in a win2k or XP version.
Yes, there is a program that will do this, and there is a version that works in XP, only one I found though was shareware.
But you can, as Phantasm pointed out, do it through the command prompt.

Winpopup messages sent from 9x/ME machines will show up as Messenger messages in NT.
Another way, maybe more difficult than "net send", is from Computer Management, right-click on Shared Folders, send a console message (that's the same thing as net send, I think).

Winpopup does not exist for XP or 2000. Net send is a command line based messaging system that should work fine. I think WinPopup required that other people on the network have WinPopup running to recieve messages. The messenger service for net send is alreday running on XP/2000 machines.

I just wanted to note that you can leave the quotes out.
net send NameOfUser "You sucK" is the same as:
net send NameOfUser You suck

There are many, many third-party messaging programs you can get. Some are freeware, but I've yet to find one that really suits my needs. I'd rather just use net send.

Do you have to be on the same workgroup to use net send? with winmessenger you didn't have to be, you just had to be all connected some other way.
example: I can get to someone's computer on our campus network even though they are not in the same "workgroup" as me by typing \\NameOfComputer

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Do you have to be on the same workgroup to use net send? with winmessenger you didn't have to be, you just had to be all connected some other way.
example: I can get to someone's computer on our campus network even though they are not in the same "workgroup" as me by typing \\NameOfComputer

It used to be that you could net send to anyone in Windows 2000 SP1. For example, if I had your IP address, I could send you a message. Unforutnately, I think Microsoft disabled that ability because of the potential user abuse.

Wrong forum?

Anyone else think this is more a Windows networking question rather than a Network hardware question...
Move to Windows OS?

Good point, I didn't even think about messaging from one OS to another. If the operating systems are using the same protocol (TCP/IP is the best bet), it should be possible with the right programs.

Originally posted by cabrone
Lol could have some fun with this at school...

Yeah, somehow we'll have to find out the computer names. Does anyone know how to get into Network Neighborhood if its not on the desktop and we can't get into the hard drive except through command prompt? Or any other way through the command prompt to get the computer names?

You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them alive!

using the following command in a command prompt:

ipconfig /all

will tell you just about everything that you want to know, if its windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP. Windows 95 has winipcfg which is a sort of silly pop-up windowie type thingie instead.

Here is the kind of output you will get:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mycomputer

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mycomputer.mydomain.com

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mydomain.com

Ethernet adapter Staff Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mycomputer.mydomain.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0E-C4-4F-37-0E-2A

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 191.14.7.20

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 191.14.99.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 191.14.103.4

ok, i can get it on the computers that have command prompt and the school has a hub/proxy server/router setup,not sure what combination. The real ip for the modem is 204.228.23.140 but the ip for the computer that i can connect and message is 10.1.18.215 That computer and the one i'm on right now are the only ones that have command prompt installed so those arethe only ones i can get the network ip adress and/or computer name from. Is there a way to get the ip address or computer name from a webpage? thanks!

First of all, yes this tread should be moved to 'Windows OS'.

Second, no Phatman, we will not help you hack you school network :p. If you want to be a scriptkiddie, there is (unfortunately) a whole lot of tools out there you can use. Otherwise, you will have to learn and understand the basics of TCP/IP (and it's vulnerabilities), networking hardware and software in general and maybe some matu... nvm :D.

Son... Come with me.... It is the ONLY way....

I think probably the most phun you will have with "net send" is sending messages to classmates during a computing class.

It will probably be highly amusing at first. Your classmates will mistake the pop up messages as error messages. You could tell them:

Due to an internal error it is imperative that you restart the computer now. All unsaved data will be lost.

(tends to frighten people) or:

HARD DRIVE FAILURE. TOTAL SYSTEM SHUTDOWN IN 5 SECONDS.

("highly" amusing) or:

I think you are cute. What are you doing after school tonight...?

Of course, as soon as Cabrone or you laughs out loud, someone will realise that its you who's doing it, most likely your computer teacher. I don't think you will get into too much trouble; after all its a harmless prank.

I'm sure it will be highly useful when you come to annoy some girls or something, or whatever it is you people do before it becomes what you want to do is kiss them.

Its a cheap 5 minute gag at best. After that, maybe you can show a girl in your class that you like how to do it. After that, its not amusing or interesting any more, and probably more annoying.

It will not work through a firewall I should imagine, before you start to get excited about doing it at home.

If you want to do things like that, you have to be me, and able to reboot workstations at work remotely from home, etc. That's infinitely more amusing than net send pop up messages, and even that stopped being funny after about 15 mins, even after we hooked up the webcams in the labs and one or two offices as well.

What's maybe an infinitely better thing to spend time on is exploring all the net commands, and trying to work out what they do. I've already explained in this post how to list the commands and how to get help on them.

haha you got it phantasm! lol The penalty for remotely logging on to a computer at school is a week suspension or expulsion which means that you can't ever go to that school again or any other school in that district. The webpage for my school district is http://www.susd.org in case any of you are interested.

comand prompt, blocking computer name

okay does anyone know how to black the computer name from messages so that the message is anon or close to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back