Meta Quest 2 update unlocks additional CPU and GPU performance

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Meta has made good on its promise to launch an update that gives the Quest 2 and Quest Pro a shot in the arm, and users only had to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. The Meta Quest V55 update specifically addresses the CPU and GPU on the two wearables. In testing, Meta saw a 26 percent CPU performance increase on both headsets with V55 installed as well as a 19 percent boost in GPU performance on the Quest 2 and an 11 percent GPU increase on the Quest Pro. Not bad for a simple software update, eh?

Meta said that as developers take advantage of the added horsepower, users can expect smoother gameplay, a more responsive user interface, and richer content. They're also enabling dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) for both headsets so apps and games will be able to leverage increased pixel density without a drop in frame rates.

Earlier this month, Meta also lowered the price of its Quest 2 in anticipation of the Quest 3 launch this fall. The Quest 2 now sells for $299.99 for the 128 GB variant and $349.99 for the 256 GB model. That's down from $399.99 and $429.99, respectively, before the price cut.

Software updates from Meta roll out gradually in order to minimize widespread issues, so don't worry if it's not showing up immediately. It'll get there… eventually.

Those interested in the latest and greatest might want to wait on the Quest 3. Meta said it'll ship with its highest resolution display to date and will be powered by a next-gen Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset that can deliver more than twice the graphical performance versus the chip in the Quest 2.

Meta also revamped the Touch Plus controllers to be more streamlined and ergonomic. Gone are the outer tracking rings, which should make the controllers feel like a more natural extension of your hands. The new design also includes integrated haptics from Touch Pro to boost immersion.

Quest 3 is due out this fall starting at $499.99 with 128 GB of storage.

Permalink to story.

"Those interested in the latest and greatest might want to wait on the Quest 3." From what I`ve read in a previous article by TS, Quest 3 is just a shinier turd. No FOV improvements, slightly better resolution for 500 bucks, That`s 600, 650 in Europe. So, thanks for the update Meta, I`m good.

Do they still make you use your real name and link it to a Facebook account?
When I read that when the 2 first came out I found it laughably absurd.

A barely used Quest 2 off of marketplace or craigslist is much better value than the Quest 3. So many people got them as gifts, used them once or twice, and put em back in the box. Got mine for AU$300

I'm all for software improvements to performance, but those percentage improvements make me think they were holding back on us before.

"Those interested in the latest and greatest might want to wait on the Quest 3." From what I`ve read in a previous article by TS, Quest 3 is just a shinier turd. No FOV improvements, slightly better resolution for 500 bucks, That`s 600, 650 in Europe. So, thanks for the update Meta, I`m good.
Not happy that there aren't bigger improvements, but I admit that I was expecting it to be more expensive by 100-200 euros. I'll probably buy it when it is in stock. The smaller size, improved lenses and better performance is something that I want.

Not happy that there aren't bigger improvements, but I admit that I was expecting it to be more expensive by 100-200 euros. I'll probably buy it when it is in stock. The smaller size, improved lenses and better performance is something that I want.
Is there anything else coming up on the horizon? The pandemic seems to not just have slowed development on VR, but almost stopped it. Almost.

Is there anything else coming up on the horizon? The pandemic seems to not just have slowed development on VR, but almost stopped it. Almost.
Game development has picked up again this year somewhat, but in terms of hardware I think companies are waiting for an inflexion point in terms of quality and production costs. They're making expensive headsets for the pro market, but for the little guys like me... I'm left with scraps.

The pandemic sped up VR adoption a lot, but as per usual, Meta screwed up :) They pretty much wasted 3 years and had nothing to show. I hope that they've learned a valuable lesson in wasted effort.

Here's what will happen in the next 2-3 years:
1. production costs will go down for good high resolution OLED/microLED displays
2. improvements in software and AI will allow for even cheaper cameras and sensors to work on mainstream headsets
3. eye-tracking will come to the next Quest version
4. pancake lenses production costs will go down, quality will go up and this in turn will allow for an higher FOV

The biggest problem will still be software. But we'll get there eventually.

Last edited:
Game development has picked up again this year somewhat, but in terms of hardware I think companies are waiting for an inflexion point in terms of quality and production costs. They're making expensive headsets for the pro market, but for the little guys like me... I'm left with scraps.

The pandemic sped up VR adoption a lot, but as per usual Meta, screwed up :) They pretty much waste 3 years and had nothing to show. I hope that they've learned a valuable lesson in wasted effort.

Here's what will happen in the next 2-3 years:
1. production costs will go down for good high resolution OLED/microLED displays
2. improvements in software and AI will allow for even cheaper cameras and sensors to work on mainstream headsets
3. eye-tracking will come to the next Quest version
4. pancake lenses production costs will go down, quality will go up and this in turn will allow for an higher FOV

The biggest problem will still be software. But we'll get there eventually.
Thanks for the reply and info!

I was wondering, would an OLED display cause issues due to the unusual RGB placement, and is this an issue that is being fixed? I mean for anything OLED, not just for VR.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply and info!

I was wondering, would an OLED display cause issues due to the unusual RGB placement, and is this an issue that is being fixed? I mean for anything OLED, not just for VR.

Thanks!
If the pixels are small enough it should be fine for VR (the Quest 1 had OLED). The OS can be made to support the new pixel arrangement and the optics can help with some of the issues. (smartphones have OLED and no pixel arrangement problems, right?)

As for a normal PC monitor, you might see some problems with text on Windows, but once you get into games/movies it's very good (especially at 4K). ClearType wasn't made with OLED in mind and MS has yet to update it for such a display.

This should help you with the pros and cons:

Last edited:
Good video. Thanks.

I wish TechSpot and other tech sites would just badger MS into giving them a timeline for a Cleartype fix. Although hearing about homebrew fixes is good news.

If the pixels are small enough it should be fine for VR (the Quest 1 had OLED). The OS can be made to support the new pixel arrangement and the optics can help with some of the issues. (smartphones have OLED and no pixel arrangement problems, right?)

As for a normal PC monitor, you might see some problems with text on Windows, but once you get into games/movies it's very good (especially at 4K). ClearType wasn't made with OLED in mind and MS has yet to update it for such a display.

This should help you with the pros and cons:

Back