TechSpot

Micron and Crucial announce next generation M500 solid state drive

By Shawn Knight
Jan 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Micron has unveiled the M500 solid state drive that uses Micron's latest 20-nanometer multilevel cell (MLC) NAND flash technology. Using the SATA 6Gbps interface, the M500 drives can deliver up to 80,000 IOPS with sequential read and write speeds topping...

Read more

2. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 328   +38

Awesome stuff.

hammer2085 likes this.
  3. Modena

Modena TS Enthusiast Posts: 182

I wonder if that means that the 480GB will only be around $300 and the 240GB around $150? That would be pretty damn cool.

4. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Enthusiast Posts: 102   +23

Cool, I bought an M4 two days ago that will give me plenty of performance for the time being. Nice to see they're adding some new models.

By the way, what's up with everybody now using 120/240/480 instead of 128/256/512 GB for SSD capacities? (Samsung and Crucial) specially on a 128GB model you may need those extra 8GB, or is it some kind of new code of honor that manufacturers have for advertising real usable capacity? xD

5. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 422   +42

Very excited for this price point. Like Modena said, I hope the price /GB carries down into lower models

6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

The hidden capacity is used for overprovisioning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification#Over-provisioning

Also from Jarred Walton's news post on this drive: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6614/microncrucial-announces-m500-ssd-line-of-ssds

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.