Microsoft accused of malware-like tactics, again, in attempt to push users onto Bing

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Microsoft has long used intrusive, irritating, or underhand methods to get Windows users to make the switch to Edge and Bing, but the latest tactic it has been testing, a pop-up, is so bad that some people initially thought it was malware.

The Verge's Tom Warren was one of those who feared his PC had been infected when a pop-up appeared asking him to switch his default search engine to Microsoft Bing in Chrome.

This isn't new territory for Microsoft, of course, but it wasn't a standard notification or one of the suggested new features Windows makes. It was a rogue executable file, signed by Microsoft, that appeared in c:\windows\temp\mubstemp.

The pop-up isn't new; it has been confusing many Redditors for months now. Some users said they scanned their PCs using anti-virus programs after seeing the message, fearing it may have come from a malicious source. One person noted that they didn't even use Chrome.

The reality, of course, is that this is just the latest attempt by Microsoft to push people onto its products or their latest versions. The company famously employed aggressive tactics when promoting its free Windows 10 upgrade offer, and was accused of deceiving people into upgrading to that OS by deploying malware-like methods.

In 2016, Microsoft's Get Windows 10 (GWX) pop-up offered users the choices of "Upgrade Now" or "Start Download, Upgrade later," meaning those who didn't want the then-newest OS had to close the pop-up using the standard X in the corner of the box. However, the company changed this by introducing a small and easily missed link for rescheduling or changing the upgrade. Following the alteration, anyone who clicked on the corner X was unwittingly giving consent for the upgrade to take place at the scheduled time. Microsoft later admitted that it had "gone too far" with that one.

Years later, when Microsoft launched Windows 11, it initially made the process of switching the default web browser needlessly complicated.

We've also seen Microsoft warn people who downloaded Chrome from Edge that Google's browser is "so 2008," and it was only recently that full-size Edge ads were reported on the Chrome website. There was also a Windows update that pushed users onto Edge, along with many, many more examples.

It appears that the latest pop-up was just an experiment by Microsoft, probably to gauge whether the amount of user outcry would be acceptable. The company did claim, however, that the pop-up's behavior wasn't intentional.

"We are aware of these reports and have paused this notification while we investigate and take appropriate action to address this unintended behavior," Caitlin Roulston, Microsoft's director of communications, told The Verge.

Permalink to story.

Until a serious penalty is set upon them, they'll continue to apply the same tactic and "apologize" after they're caught, while "promising" not to do it again with their right hand raised and the left hand hiding crossed fingers behind their back.

The title makes no sense. The only reason trying to push people to use bing is to bring few laughs

This is nothing. If you use Bing, they try to push you to use their AI. Thankfully, uBlock Origin's element hiding helper has eliminated that AI crap for me. Really, the AI element they have in bing is designed to catch your eye and make you think it is adding something useful to the search results. It reminds me of that article a few years back about, I think it was Google, that said that they were trying to addict people to their stuff. It (Bing AI) literally tries to start a conversation with you and for me, it totally misses the point of my searches. It says things along the lines of "I see you are interested in..." when my reasons for searching are mainly to earn bing points, and I could care less about an in-depth search on any of the subjects.

OneDrive
Teams
MS Office ads
Edge
OneNote
News & Interests
Weather
Paint 3D
Mail & Calendar
Sticky Notes
XBox game bar
etc.
Latest update had one drive pop-up and logged me off their store and changed my audio settings because you have to pay for the Dolby atmos license 😑 to experience it.

OneDrive
Teams
MS Office ads
Edge
OneNote
News & Interests
Weather
Paint 3D
Mail & Calendar
Sticky Notes
XBox game bar
etc.
how many of those are pre-installed on a clean w10 system ? and how many you can't disable ? I haven't even seen any of those open on my system, and I found ms edge convenient when I needed a separate browser for my post-grad course (saved bookmarks/history for that course alone).didn't have to dl/install opera or chrome (main is firefox)
Meanwhile, my phone can't let me into control panel without skipping ads.
I think the boy is overreacting comparing the two.

Last edited:
what bloatware does w10 have ?

Run a Wireshark capture on either 10 or 11 to see how much traffic is going on in the background. Windows 10 does come with a large amount of software installed that often unused and definitely unwanted by many. Just scroll through the Start menu and count how much of those features you don't use or want. You can also find many other apps that aren't even clearly listed in the Start menu that run in the background by default.

how many of those are pre-installed on a clean w10 system ? and how many you can't disable ? I haven't even seen any of those open on my system, and I found ms edge convenient when I needed a separate browser for my post-grad course (saved bookmarks/history for that course alone).didn't have to dl/install opera or chrome (main is firefox)
Meanwhile, my phone can't let me into control panel without skipping ads.
I think the boy is overreacting comparing the two.

All of those come pre-installed. Half of them cannot be readily uninstalled and do not make it clear (if at all) how to disable them.

All of these are coming installed on Professional edition too. I haven't touched a Home version in forever, but I expect to find even more.

Last edited:
How do they incovenience you ?
my #1 complaint about bing is that it's bad, not that ms tries to make me use it per se. it's like an android phone defaulting to android browser and android search engine for a newly opened phone, but allowing you to customize it however you want (includes not touching that browser for years).
it's like fsr2 situation, I wouldn't find it annoying that amd pushes fsr as the only upscaler for games at all, if only it was actually any good.

Just one more nail in the coffin of Windows before I put it on the pyre. I'll put a grenade in it's mouth, pour diesel all over the damn corpse then after it's finished buring down, salt it and then scatter the ashes on the sun.

Yes I'm getting tired of the garbage that MS has pulled since Win7 worked absolutely fine for me that I'm dumping it in favor of a FOSS solution - either FreeBSD or Linux since I don't have too many games that need WIndows. I could even run Win10 in a VM after I switch, which might solve the issue with Cities Skylines 2. All of my other games are either well supported by Proton or from GoG using DosBox to install

Yeah, I'd rather not waste time installing and learning new OS, just take 10-15 minutes to customize windows to not use the stuff you don't like as default.

Unintended behavior my ***, they are doing it on purpose!🤬Just got a pop up recently wanting me to upgrade to Windose 11,🤬 I purposly turned TPM off in the Bios to stop that unless an update changed my bios!🤬 I will check my bios now!! I is an AMD board and I thought I turned TPM off!😲😲

How do they incovenience you ?
my #1 complaint about bing is that it's bad, not that ms tries to make me use it per se. it's like an android phone defaulting to android browser and android search engine, but allows you to customize it. you can do whatever if you want, including not touching that browser for years.
it's like fsr2 situation, I wouldn't find it annoying that amd pushes fsr as the only upscaler for games at all, if only it was actually any good.

They inconvenience me by existing. They take up drive space I don't want to give them, chew up bandwidth I don't want them to, and report on my activities and information to people who profit from that data and don't give me any of the proceeds. I didn't ask for them and wasn't given a choice in them.

For anyone wanting to minimize the bs either OS is doing in the background:

Dont forget begging to open online account when installing windows 10! God, there should be law against that kind of crap....

Unintended behavior my ***, they are doing it on purpose!🤬Just got a pop up recently wanting me to upgrade to Windose 11,🤬 I purposly turned TPM off in the Bios to stop that unless an update changed my bios!🤬 I will check my bios now!! I is an AMD board and I thought I turned TPM off!😲😲
Yeah, turning off tpm will not stop the W11 upgrade naggging.

Apparently the maximum amount of time you can delay these downgrades I mean updates if 5 weeks in Windows 11.

That’s why I use a Mac for work and anything important and windows is now just for gaming and other stupid stuff. I have hated windows ever since windows 8.

That’s why I use a Mac for work and anything important and windows is now just for gaming and other stupid stuff. I have hated windows ever since windows 8.
This was back in the windows 7 days but there were several people at work switched to Mac because they were tired of getting viruses and losing their info!😲

This was back in the windows 7 days but there were several people at work switched to Mac because they were tired of getting viruses and losing their info!😲
was gonna ask, is 8gb on mac book air really enough ? I'll have an option to buy one with m1 cpu basically 60% soon. worth it ?

Depends on how you will use it, if you are just browsing the internet an doing documents it is probably alright. I have 2 emails and 14 tabs open in my browser and it is using 14GB on my desktop!😁 I have 32GB memory but just bought another 32GB to fill my slots on my desktop because the memory prices are a lot cheaper right now! The first 32GB I bought in 2020 was $114 , the second ones I just got were $60!😲

Back