Microsoft adds 'PC vs. Mac' section to Windows 7 site

Jos

Apple may have decided to kill off its popular "Get a Mac" campaign, after 66 ads and four years of poking fun at Windows users, but apparently Microsoft wants to keep the debate alive with a new section on its Windows 7 website that lists a multitude of reasons why PCs are better than Macs. The page is under the Compare tab and has a number of categories including "having fun", "simplicity", "working hard", "sharing", "compatibility" and "choice."

Microsoft makes some valid points, bringing up the fact that you can't get a Mac with a Blu-ray player, TV tuner, Memory Stick reader, or built-in 3G wireless. They also mention the world's most popular computer games aren't available for Macs and that PCs give you a lot more choice and capabilities for your money. As it is to be expected from a marketing campaign, Microsoft overlooks any positive aspects its competitor may have, but it's rather comical that they claim productivity documents on a Mac "might not look right and your spreadsheets might not calculate correctly," despite the fact that they make a Mac version of Office and it's not like the suite comes free with Windows.

The site also displays a feed of tweets mentioning Windows 7 in a bid to show users' opinion about the OS. You can read some of the other assertions made by Microsoft on their site, and most importantly, do you agree with them?

Permalink to story.

Interesting, but I figured Microsoft didn't really care about those annoying commercials; neither did PC users.

"but it's rather comical that they claim productivity documents on a Mac "might not look right and your spreadsheets might not calculate correctly," despite the fact that they make a Mac version of Office and it's not like the suite comes free with Windows".

You sure you read that right? Let me reproduce what was written at the PC vs Mac site:
" Sharing documents and spreadsheets.
If you use Apple's productivity suite, sharing files with PC users can be tricky. Your documents might not look right and your spreadsheets might not calculate correctly."

Weird comments.

I used to laugh so hard @ the commercials they would put out ^_^ Seriously? There really isn't much competition! PC's have gaming thus there instantly better!

I reaaally dislike any commercial or form of advertisement that pokes directly at their competitors. I really wish Microsoft hadn't taken this route. But regardless of that, I'd pick a PC over a Mac any day of the week.

Commercial OSes can always give you a laugh with their annoyingly stubborn adverts. Another cheer for open source! Before I get attacked by Windows fans, yes I still boot into my OEM copy for gaming. ;)

I really don't understand the notion that one shouldn't take directly on your competition, I mean how would you call it 'competition' otherwise? I agree with the guest's comment that people make choices according their 'needs'.

Funny, many reasons written for user who uses a PC and thinking about switching to Mac. I guess the whole thing is not to convert Mac user to PC, but to keep Windows user base.

I'm going to assume if you are already at Microsoft's website you are doing one of two things; One: Already using Windows; Two: You are already leaning that way.

They ay that if you want a Mac version of some program you have to buy it again. But don't forget, If you want to run windows 7 on more thn a certain number of computers, you have to buy windows 7 again. The two scenarios aren't really that similar, but I'm just saying ;). Love Macs but forced to use a PC.

And who doesn't like white or silver. I think the colour choice of Macs are very sort of peaceful and calm. I just love 'em

Not very good advertising. But they are right about the gaming ^_^ .

If Microsoft doesn't screw up windows 8, apple will have a very hard time going over 5%. It might even drop under 4%.

microsoft might dominate pc's but apple dominates the "Gadgets" kind of sector, they sell millions of ipods, ipads, iphones, imacs and whatever, dont think microsoft caters to any

uvindu said:
And who doesn't like white or silver. I think the colour choice of Macs are very sort of peaceful and calm. I just love 'em
That is ture, but to not offer any other colors, just seems stupid to me.

just like the ads say "I'm a PC" :)

MS OS for me as for the Apple...I like the macbook...that's it!(excluding the Mac OS) :)

It looks to me like this campaign is focuses to stop people from leaving PCs in favor of Macs. Many reasons sound like "if you know how to X on PC, it will be hard for you to do it on Mac."

neoflux said:
Funny, many reasons written for user who uses a PC and thinking about switching to Mac. I guess the whole thing is not to convert Mac user to PC, but to keep Windows user base.
That's because Mac users have almost a cultish fervor for Steve Jobs and anything Apple. It's like converting a religious zealot. Nigh impossible.

I think PC users are a bit more level headed. I'm a PC guy, but that hasn't stopped me from trying Macs and Apple products. Heck, I have an iPhone, and I love it. However, there is no compelling reason for me to switch to Macs. None whatsoever.

These are designed to STIR THE POT and keep the community bickering and focused upon the system(s) the users have chosen ... cute psychology

Lets wait for Aug 16 or whenever Apple officially tells us about ios 4 for iPad, the new iPod touch. Maybe they will introduced colored PCs with a new UI

Well first off, this is just wrong "...but it's rather comical that they claim productivity documents....."
The site clearly sais:
"If you use Apple's productivity suite, sharing files with PC users can be tricky. Your documents might not look right and your spreadsheets might not calculate correctly."
Implying that if you use apple products to create spreadsheets/documents and then send those to a windows machine.

As for the rest, all the statements are somewhat unclear as if they are afraid of directly taking on certain issues.
The REAL reasons should just read,
1. Its cheaper.
2. You can use ANY hardware from ANY manufacturer
3. You don't need to goto certified mac stores, anyone can fix a PC.
4. It's easier to develop applications for a PC, therefore a lot more choices are available.

Back