TechSpot

Microsoft announces two flagship Lumia 950 handsets, plus the budget-minded Lumia 550

By Shawn Knight
Oct 6, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft on Wednesday announced a trio of new Lumia smartphones during its Windows 10 hardware event, tackling the entry-level space with the new Lumia 550 and the high-end market with a pair of flagships. Most of what we learned today had already been leaked by Microsoft although there were a few surprises still in store.

The new Lumia 950 XL certainly earns its suffix with a large 5.7-inch 1440p OLED display (518 PPI) that’s powered by Qualcomm’s octa-core Snapdragon 810 SoC clocked at 2.0GHz alongside 3GB of RAM. There’s also 32GB of internal storage that’s expandable via microSD card slot, a 20-megapixel rear-facing PureView camera with triple-LED flash, f/1.9 aperture and optical image stabilization that can shoot 4K video, a 5-megapixel front-facing camera and a large removable 3,300mAh battery.

UBS Type-C connectivity comes standard, as does Qi wireless capabilities. According to Microsoft, the USB Type-C connector can provide a 50 percent charge in just 30 minutes.

The regular 950, meanwhile, packs a smaller 5.2-inch 1440p OLED display (564 PPI) with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 hexa-core SoC and 3GB of RAM under the hood. It also comes with 32GB of expandable local storage, the same 20-megapixel rear-camera, 5-megapixl selfie cam, USB Type-C connectivity, wireless charging and 3,000mAh battery.

Naturally, both phones run Windows 10.

Developing…

Permalink to story.

2. irockisos

irockisos TS Rookie

I hope AT&T will not be the only carrier that gets these devices. Currently, I am with T-mobile and I have been waiting for a quality Windows device to be released. I have been a huge fan of windows phones when I used to rock a HD 2.

Good to see that they are bringing some glory back to the Windows mobile market.

GG Microsoft!!

Peter Farkas and MoeJoe like this.
  3. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 401   +208

Same here.

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,914   +537

At 139$ it is really expensive for what hardware it has. all phones are expensive.

5. Peter Farkas

Peter Farkas TS Addict Posts: 214   +67

me too ;-)

6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

if marketed in the Philippines, this will go vs cherry mobile android one LTE version, priced in the Philippines about 5999php (Philippine pesos); with 16gb internal storage, snapdragon 410 soc.
    as usual, what the heck is Microsoft thinking releasing a not so competitive low cost model with 'meager specs' compared to the android competition?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

Nice devices no doubt (apart from that overpriced budget offering) but I doubt they'll change M$'s ~2% global mobile market share. They are always gonna be bit players in the greater scheme of things for the foreseeable future.

8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

WHAT?! No one is talking about the dock ability to convert a phone into a desktop computer that could potentially benefit the average user? That means you actually carry a computer in your pocket.